Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Simplification Has Not Arrived

Early this morning headed for small town
errands
First stop a plant left off  for a special friend,
next post office to mail my youngest something.
Less tiring and expensive to let the postal service do it.
On to the drugstore for prescription refill
and picked up several cards.   I still like to send cards
in the mail and receive them.
Next the bank and then on to Walmart and last Aldi's

Goal was every 2 weeks but cannot seem to accomplish.
It had been 7 days,
but really need to get out around civilization..

Noticed the price of fertilizer has really gone up.
Also it is very evident that the size of almost
everything is smaller with increased prices.

I have stopped almost entirely  eating out on
the day I run errands.  Not the best of food at
the local eating places and I like my food better.
It is more  nutritious and much better on my budget.

I now stop at Dunkin Donuts.  Our new place
in town.   Have a small Carmel latte, put in a larger
cup with lots of whip cream and also purchase
1/2 dozen of their miniature jelly donuts.

It is good to sit at the table and relax for a moment
before I head home.

Noticed on the table today's Wall Street Journal,
New York Times and US Today.   I inquired if
it was delivered to them (aware they do not sell
them in this small town), the young lady replied
no that someone always brings them in and reads
and leaves them - she said take them if you want
to.   I did take part of the New York Times.

One new thing about me as I age - is the boldness
that has come about.  I kind of like it.  In the
past more shy of nature (at times).

Sent to me several days ago -  in my overloaded state
from far over the ocean.
The words were welcome and needed.

"  ......I have learned to know my limit, learned to say no and to withdraw to my hermitage to have time for walking meditation, my sitting, my time with the garden, with the flowers and things like that.  I have not used the telephone for the last 25 years. "

" ......you cannot continue to be a help to other people if you do not take care of yourself.  Your solidity, your freedom, your happiness, are crucial for other people.   Taking good care of yourself is crucial.  I have learned to protect myself."

~~~~Thich Nhat Hanh~~~~

How I wish I could accomplish what these words reveal.
But I am better, just not where I want to be.
Would be nice not to answer the ringing telephone....

10 comments:

the wild magnolia said...

taking care of us is prime must do. knowing how to rest and relax is good, when i do much of this, I stove up. hahaha

a certain amount of going to town is required to keep us alive.

i am becoming worse and worse about shopping. i work hard to see it as zen.

i haven't found a decent dunkin' here is florida. while in Maine in 2009 where dunkin doughnut originates, i fell in love with the doughnuts, and breakfast sandwiches. the coffee is delicious and strong.

boldness is a good thing, speaking up, speaking out for yourself.

happy everything.

((hugs))

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Sandy, maybe at your younger age you will do better then me on simplification. I eat no fast food
but the decaf latte is a treat for me . This is new in our town so maybe it is a bit nicer then what you experienced...

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

I enjoy reading Thich Nhat Hanh.

I don't like going out either. DH and I are a couple of home bodies. I'm always glad to pull into the driveway after a day at work. I have about a 30 min. drive each way. When we do our errands on Monday we are worn out. Going out makes us appreciate our home sweet homes.

Love and hugs to you ~ FlowerLady

Balisha said...

I agree with Flowerlady...We are worn out on errand day. Always breath a sigh of relief when we see our little town come into view.
We eat very little fast food or convenience foods.We eat pretty much like they did before those things were introduced. I feel that we are healthier for it. An occasional dinner out is a treat.
I too enjoyed the reading by Thich Nhat Hanh.
Have a nice evening..Balisha

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

FlowerLady and Balisha, I think we are much alike - only differance
I wander these woods and my garden
alone.
Have a wonderful evening and weekend that is approaching...

Mundi said...

Is that Mayapple that I see in yesterdays post ??? A very early spring for us in the Northeast.

kerrdelune said...

Oh, but I prefer to eat at home too, avoid too much sodium, preservatives and fillers. An occasional decaf latte or pot of fair trade tea is a real treat.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Mundi, thank you for visiting
Yes, those are Mayapples. I believe it is almost a month early for this Spring season.
Cate, I always feel special when you respond :) I like my own healthy cooking and only stop for latte to keep me from being a hermit...
A good night is wished you both.

Sharon said...

There's a Dunkin' Donuts just two miles from my house, which I never used...until my daughter gave me a gift card. Oh, what a treat to occasionally drive through for a coffee and donut;)

Funny thing about the phone at my house ~ there are times when no one wants to answer it. That's not a problem now that we have an answering machine.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Sharon, I have started taking my phone off the hook when I eat. Seems that is when the phone rings.