Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

First Week In March Day

A busy day
They are all emerging
cuttings of plants
I have moved from home to home.
Even see the pink tips of the peonies
pushing through the earth.

Worked in gardens until about
30 minutes ago.
Lovingly cleaned around plants,
smiled as I remembered stories of each one.
Most of them have names of the people
who gave them to me.
 Spread some of my  mulch and moved
a few plants.  Prepared a large pot
for my Cilantro.  Did not do well last
year but I am bound and determined
for it to grow in abundance this year.
Sage, Rosemary, Parsley and Thyme
flourished all winter.

Also cleaned in area on road by
mailbox where I have some plants.

Was so nice to warm up quiche for lunch,
It was joined with some slices of carrots,
cucumber, celery. olives and a few chips.
My fruit tea and some zucchini
bread that finished  the last from the freezer
from my garden last Fall.

At last  sat in my favorite old rocking chair
on the small terrace with camera.
The birds were flying everywhere
they were noisy and seemed to be
saying "Spring is almost here."
Birds I am just too tired to identify
but did see a blue bird, robin and
floor of garden had a few doves.

Hoped so for some good images

I saw a butterfly. Not close enough
to identify.

It was difficult to come inside.  Callie
is now sleeping on a rug at the back door
and I look like a true woods women.
Dirt under nails, on clothes, I may be
super weary and dirty but I am smiling.

The section of a hollow log that held
the baby squirrels was empty this morning.
All the leaves and straw on the ground
and no sight of the babies. I am hoping
that the mama moved them.

Wherever you are my special friends
and family---have a good evening
and know you are all special to
this One Woman who lives at the
edge of the woods.

10 comments:

Tabor said...

What great pictures. I remember when you were so frustrated with your camera...you have come a long way with the two species of woodpeckers and that cute dog!

Beverly said...

glad you had a good old country day in the woods....I too think of the people who have me some plants.
I may be crazy but, i thought I saw a picture of the baby squirrels last night and was going to show Lily and now cannot find them....did I dream this? I do not like squirrels at all, but those babies were so cute...and I cannot believe it, but I feed them now....

the wild magnolia said...

A lovely landscape, woodland, and decor. Precious Callie at your feet, faithful companion.

Beautiful sharing. Thank you.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Tabor, thank you. Beverly I deleted the post as I was ashamed of what I shared in not wanting to be a mama to the babies.
Sandy, thank you....

lil red hen said...

You told me yesterday you would like to quilt with me; today I wish to garden with you, dirt under nails and on knees. Will your work make your muscles sore? Your woods look so inviting.

Sky said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sky said...

i am sorry you removed the pics of the squirrel babies. i would have enjoyed seeing them. we love our bushy tailed squirrels. we feed them and have fun watching them scamper about the gardens hiding nuts which apparently they worry will one day disappear when they need them most! we keep feeding; they keep hiding.

enjoyed seeing your woodpeckers and some of your garden area! sounds like you had a very busy day - and that is nothing new, is it?! :D

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Charlotte, I have a problem of pacing myself - did way too much
and did not sleep well last night.
Sky, you know me well :)

Balisha said...

It seems that we just don't know when to stop once we start a task that we enjoy. I do the same.Every year, I think that I will cut down on my work outside, but spring comes and I feel like a younger person.
We once had a baby squirrel that fell from a hole in the tree. My husband, who was suffering from cancer at the time, found it and put it in a box to care for. When I came home, I took the squirrel and climbed a ladder up in the tree and put the squirrel back in the nest. I now wish that I had left well enough alone. He would have had so much pleasure taking care of that little thing, but I was so tired at that time and didn't want any more on my plate.Now that he's gone...I regret it.Why do we feel guilt after 10 yrs? Balisha

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Balisha, I am right there with you.
I am pleased there is a light rain this morning - but need to get off of computer and do some inside chores. Oh yes guilt - memories of things I could have done differently. But we do the best we can at the moment a decision has to be made. Have a good day
dear friend.