Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Little Bear Someone Is Looking After You

Several have asked what is happening with Little Bear?
My heart kept telling me you cannot take on this little one and
the mind kept saying -  oh you can do it.

It has taken me many years to learn
not to believe everything your mind tells you....

Requiring so much attention, already a full schedule and
after 3 sleepless nights - a decision was made.

Sunday a visit from my grandson and his girlfriend
and like everyone they fell under Little Bear's spell.
They left and after another sleepless night early in
the morning I made a
call to the Animal Shelter in my near by small town.

I was so emotional and crying that the lady on the phone
told me they would come and pick up the puppy
and they usually do not do this.  She was kind and
understood everything I shared.

A number of people were contacted to see if they
wanted this little one - no one did
Over and over in my mind - I could have drove on home.
But I could not.  The little dog covered with ticks and
from the food and water gulped down must have
been by himself for several days.  So I saved it
and felt so guilty about not feeling I could give it the
attention that it needed.

So the truck pulled up and two normally  friendly dogs,
my Callie and the puppy with tails tucked between
their legs hid under a bench.

They just knew something was going to happen.
The big man picked up the puppy and for 24 hours Callie
acted so sad.

Thinking all is settled and Callie and I will heal
and go on with our lives -
but then
early this morning
an email arrived from my grandson informing
me that he wanted Bear and the boys who live in a big
old home near the university with him will help my
grandson take care of puppy and he is on the way
to Woodhaven to pick him up.

I sadly shared what I had done and that he was no longer
here but I would quickly call
the shelter and was told it was fine for him to come
and pick up Little Bear - but - now there was
a $90 adoption fee.

This did not matter to my grandson - so Little Bear
is in Nashville with 5 or 6  - 22 year old young men.

I gave instruction on how to feed and he will
to be watched and restricted in the big city.
They have a big fenced yard and a crate
and all so excited about having Bear.
Also in several months surgery will have to be performed
and some shots required.

Now how this will end I do not know.
The young men graduate the end of May.
My grandson has several options for his
immediate future.

Plus there is the mom and dad question.
They may not want a puppy in their home.

At the moment this little one has lots of
attention and will be loved.

Nothing is permanent and who knows
maybe I will feel different several months
from now.

Just wanted to share what is happening
to the little puppy that One Woman
picked up in the middle of a country road.
last week.

12 comments:

Tabor said...

I know exactly how you felt. Sometimes an animal has so much love that it fills you up and you cannot leave them. I am so glad this one has a home and I am hoping he will be cared for permanently somewhere soon.

the wild magnolia said...

I will keep Little Bear in my prayers, he is already in my heart.

Two fur babies is a lot to care for. One dog and one cat would be different. Puppies take lots of energy. I understand completely.

He may be with these young me for someone to discover him, giving him a good forever home.

Take care and dry your eyes, you have a good heart, you saved Little Bear twice, so far.

((hugs))

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

I do not have words to share how this litte puppy stole my heart
But my son kept telling me from far over the ocean - you need to take care of yourself and not take on anymore. Tabor and Sandy, thank you for visiting.

Balisha said...

I teared up reading this post. I just read the post to Joe and we both are so happy that Bear has a home for a time...and maybe for a long time. You did the right thing.
balisha (HUGS)

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Balisha, thank you so much for the kind words. Just got a call that Bear is at the vet - getting his shots....

lil red hen said...

Sounds like it's all worked out in the end. Take comfort in knowing he's loved in his new home and now you need to get some good sleep.

Judy said...

It's so sad, I would want him too, but sometimes we just have to realize our limits! Of course, at 65-70 we would have kept him without a thought as to the matter.

Sky said...

so glad your grandson and his friends have Bear. at least there is a little time for them to figure out if a permanent home will be necessary. hopefully in this window of several weeks, someone can be found as a backup if one of these guys can't keep him. he is such a precious little puppy.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Charlotte, Judy and Sky, thank you for visiting. Last night was my first good nights sleep in a while.
You know I get up about 4:30. I did and let Callie out and went back to bed and slept until 7:30.
Now that is not me and I must have needed the sleep...

Sky said...

was the puppy keeping you up because he was crying and barking at night? glad you finally got some sleep!! :)

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Sky, what was keeping me awake = was anxiety. Wanting to keep Bear
but with all I have to do and maintain here in the woods, being alone and at my age - I just did not think I could take care of him through his puppy stage.
It was truly bothering me that I could not do what I wanted to do.

MsGraysea said...

Lucky Little Bear! He is so precious....I do think you made the right decision, though. They take a lot of care and energy. You lucked out with Callie and I hope she will not be too sad about Little Bear leaving. How nice that you will be able to keep up on his progress and see him on occasion!