Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Cauliflower Soup On A Rainy Day

It has rained all day
I am glad
was able to stay inside.

So tired last night
after working outside all day
Did not sleep well and wish
I was better at pacing myself
and
 not so sensitive to the
fact that 1/2 the family was far
away and my younger daughter
and family flying in last night.


How in the world do I have
so many vegetables in my frig?
Cauliflower, collard greens, spinach
and an eggplant along with
celery, carrots and onions.

I made cauliflower soup.
The same way as potato
with onion, celery, carrots
and garlic.
Cook until done and then
use the blender on half
an addition of chicken broth,
milk or cream.

Cooked the collard greens
and put some on the soup
along with shredded cheese
chopped bacon and a dollop
of sour cream.
1/2 recipe of my favorite
corn bread'
made it complete.

I needed this
sure was good....

10 comments:

Balisha said...

Yum...that looks delicious. Mother Nature took pity on you today and gave you a rest :)

Balisha

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

That looks good, although I'd rather have kale than collard greens. I've just gotten into 'greens' and kale is my favorite.

We do have to pace ourselves the older we get. I also take naps.

Have a nice visit with your family tat is flying in.

Love and hugs ~ FlowerLady

Lonely Rivers said...

I love that you always carefully set the table for yourself. It looks beautiful and delicious - and ready for a very important person - you~~!!

Sky said...

this soup looks wonderful! i love soup during our rainy season especially, when the days are chilled and damp.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Balisha, I am glad.
FlowerLady, my daughter eats a lot of Kale - I need to try it.
Sky, soup is so easy and nourishing for me to prepare for one person. Then have a meal and lunch the next day :)
LR - I love setting a nice table.
In the past with a big family I always did this. If I did not do this for one it would almost be depressing. I like cloth napkins, candles and flowers :)

Tabor said...

Looks super delicious as well as healthy.

angela recada said...

I love your recipe/poem. Nourishment for the body and soul. Some of my best soups have come from using up bits of this and that from the refrigerator. Best wishes to you.

Judy said...

I am so glad you are having company!!!

lil red hen said...

A rainy day does give us a chance to rest or do something we like to do inside. I was afraid your work would make you too tired to sleep. Happens here sometimes.

It's good that you fix nutritious meals for yourself, when it would be tempting to just snack.

the wild magnolia said...

YOu are wonderful to gather the veggies and prepare a wonderful garden soup. I simply love cornbread.

I am still traveling back and picking up posts I have missed.

((hugs))