Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Monday, October 31, 2011

They Never Told Me

Last week I started taking COQ 10.
Have read a lot about the benefits.
Also a blogger friend shared that
someone in her family who also had
 Sjogrens
took this.
When I mentioned this to my daughters
two of them commented they had been
taking it for quite a while.

The only daily prescription I take is
a low blood pressure pill.
3 days ago it was 116/6l - but it
seems whenever I am upset or
stressed it goes very high.
Do have prescription medication that
I take when health issues surface.
Usually about 3 times a year for this.

Wondered what some of my friends
are taking - but 90% of you are younger
and I just started taking most of these
in the last two years.
Before that just multi vitamin and the
blood pressure pill.

 In my past years
I never believed in taking vitamins.
Always of the mindset that I did
not need them that I followed
a healthy diet and lifestyle.

I think lately I should be writing with the
title "What it is like be in your seventies
when in many ways it is not much
different then in the
50' s and 60's  :)

Just looked at my image
and that sure looks like a lot
that I am now taking.

Wonder - is it necessary :)

10 comments:

Judy said...

Yes--CoQ10 is very good for you and your heart--also, you should be taking a fish oil capsule twice a day and a B12 in the morning to help with energy, also good for your blood. I take/have taken a lot of vitamins since the mid-1960's--I credit that with my relatively good health because I don't eat right.

the wild magnolia said...

Thank you for sharing. New health issues are trying to roost, does explain why I have felt so bad at least. Med, Meds and more Meds. Phooey.

Wishing you a fine day.

((hugs))

MsGraysea said...

I will be very interested to see if you notice a difference. I have a lot of similar bottles and do wonder if they are necessary, as I eat quite a healthy diet. I agree with Judy that B12 is really important. I have repeatedly tested low for that and can tell when I need to start taking it again. Fish oil is also one of my staples.
Keep us posted!

kerrdelune said...

I am thinking about taking COQ10 and wondering if I should. . .

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

I do not have an energy problem, go nonstop most of the time, and when blood work is done - all is well except for immune. This is just my idea.
One daughter tells me to take fish oil. Have it and take occasionally :)

Sharon said...

This is interesting. I'm not good about remembering to take supplements, but when I do I take calcium, vitamin D, and magnesium. And when I'm really good I remember the fish oil capsule:)

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Sharon, sometimes I am busy and forget them also...

Sky said...

I take Centrum Silver, Vitamin D
(2000 ICU), a Calcium chew twice a day with D and K added to it. I take Flaxseed Oil off and on since it is good for cholesterol and heart (and I SHOULD take it daily), and B-12 from time to time as well. Since I, too, have auto-immune dysfuntion and serious issues with dry mouth and eyes, please send me an email in a month or so and let me know how the new addition is working for you. Thanks so much!

Anonymous said...

I am not familiar with CoQ10. I have taken, over the past twenty-five years, a number of supplements, including herbs, flowers essences, and vitamins and minerals. For a number of years I have taken Calcium/Magnesium/Vitamin D. Recently, with so much going on, I lapsed--when I should have been more mindful! I have some blood pressure issues, also, and have worked with this by meditating. I have used my blood pressure cuff as a sort of biofeedback tool. In other words, some times, I can sit for a while and manage to get my pressure down. Recently it's been up a bit, so it's time for me to hit my chair and do some deep breathing!

I thank you, again, for introducing me to Sjogrens. I am still trying to find what might be most helpful for me with my symptoms. I have been doctoring myself, as best I can, for a long time. I use a couple of nutrition books as my primary guides. I also get some accupuncture and advice from my accupuncturist. Again, because of so many obligations right now, I haven't seen her in a while.

I'm planning on pampering myself for at least a small portion of the weekend. I hope you might do the same!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Ellen, my pattern has been similar to yours. My oldest daughter in Florida is always recommending special herbs. I have always wanted to try acupunture - but no one available like that near this small town and I am getting where I truly do not like driving to the big city - where I would find one.
Blood pressure - I am fine excpt under pressure. Right now with all that is going on you will have to deal with yours. But you will make it - your older sister did :)