Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Saturday, October 15, 2011

My Old Farm Home



 This entry was posted almost 3 years ago.
The visit that brought about the desire to return home to the woods.
Construction on my present cottage began in a couple of months, the city home
was sold and the
rest is history.
I am home.......
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Yesterday was a perfect October day. I wanted to drive to the country and walk in the fields and part of the woods. My son volunteered to drive. We drove past my old farm home. She proudly stands. I remember so well that she did not look like this when I purchased her. She looked like a home that was ready to be torn down. Paint peeling, porch post sagging, roof leaking and on and on. But I recognised that she had "good bones". Several people made the comment "what are you wasting your time for, that homes needs to go". No way I replied. The home was restored, remodeled and a great room and kitchen added on the back of this home. There will be stories and pictures as times goes on. I talk so much about this home I wanted to post a picture of her.

This was the home that I came to 30 years go. A home that my older grandchildren remember.
The home where my youngest daughter grew up. A home where I healed and was almost reborn. The beginning of who I am today. If that makes sense.

Yesterday I was able to walk in the fields and the woods of the land I still own. As I stood under the towering trees and sensed the stillness my eyes filled with tears. I could visualize the seasons, the wild life and the emotion pierced my heart. My thoughts are filled with clearing a spot and making a retreat that I could go to in the Spring and Fall. Summer is out because of the thick growth and ticks and poison ivy. Yes, poison ivy. I had it every year of living in the country.

We visited the small local town and drug store. They have the best sandwiches and milk shakes in the country. Some errands and I headed for home. The thoughts continually in my mind that this was the best gift my son could have given me. His time

Just a preview entry of my previous day. The thought comes to mind that I believe in miracles

Some thoughts from this One Woman on Her Journey Through This Life.


12 comments:

Judy said...

I can see why you miss it so much. It was absolutely beautiful and I know you loved it with all your heart and soul. What a great place to raise children and grandchildren. I love the picture of you in front of the drugstore in town. I know you have wonderful memories and so enjoyed spending the day with your son. My son brought my grandson down yesterday afternoon and we took him to the game farm here. I, too, enjoyed spending the afternoon with the two of them. I am so glad you posted a picture of your place so we could see it. Thanks.

lilalia said...

What a bitter sweet piece this is. How the day must have brought back all those wonderful memories, as well as the struggles and small failures. You have had a rich life and I fell privilege to read your telling.

Nan said...

Thank you for this post - I loved seeing the place you write about, and seeing you! I still think you oughtta just build that little place for yourself.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

JUDY, LILALIA AND NAN, THANK YOU,
SO MANY PATHS HAVE OPENED IN MY LIFE AND IF THIS IS MEANT TO BE THE PATH WILL OPEN AND IT WILL BE CLEAR TO ME THAT I AM TO DO THIS.
A LOT TO THINK ABOUT.

BlondeMomBlog (Jamie) said...

I love the pictures....that home is always "my" home and I know it is yours too! I'm so glad Jimmy was able to spend the day with you.

Love you.

Tabor said...

I always wondered what your country home looked like, because you spoke of it so fondly. If you and the family are not up to building something small and new, perhaps there is a small rental house where you could stay in the area during hte seasons. These memories while bittersweet are what sustain us.

Beverly said...

the house is beautiful, I bet the home was even better. I know how much you love that home....and you are so right about there time, it is so nice to spend time with our children

clown princess said...

Thank you for sharing. Tears are understandable.

Ugich Konitari said...

I dont know if you are rich in money, but you are so very rich in memories and family and people who have the same values you have, towards, old things that move the heart. Loved all the pictures and your very moving post.....

MsGraysea said...

Thank you for sharing your beautiful country home with us, E, it is lovely, and certainly a reflection of you!
I know that feeling of "going back" and walking the land and longing. Such a lovely gift from your son.
Also, I love the photo of your grandson and the surprise visit....

kerrdelune said...

Miracles indeed, and what a blessing it is to be sharing this with you. A truly wonderful post....

Elsa Louise said...

What a spectacular old house it is. Good bones, indeed. A wonderful task you accomplished. It is in very fine shape. How old a structure is it?

I love the veranda (hope that is the correct term) on the second storey.

Perhaps one day, you’ll have chance to share your experiences concerning the restoration.