Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Friday, April 27, 2012

Taste And Aroma Memories

Driving down the highway yesterday
my mind took a journey to the past.

I wanted a blank mind but it seemed
it had a mind of its own and I just let
it wander as they were memories
that made me smile.

I rarely drink coffee but I love the smell.
a memory came to mind of growing up years
and first thing on awakening the smell of
coffee.  No one made coffee like my mama.
Loved the smell but she made it too strong
for me - but sure smelled good.

Occasionally I like a hot dog and now it is veggie.
But the memory of a 15 year old with her
first job at the dime store.  There was nothing
like their hot dogs cooking on the grill as you
came in the front door.  The scent inviting and
they were plump and
juicy,  the bun warmed to perfection and
you had an assortment of toppings.  Never have
found a hot dog  equal in all my years.  Think they
were 15cents.

I wanted to close my eyes and smell the charcoal at the
buffet in Jamaica.  But remembered I was driving.
  One night a week the embers would be glowing
 with everything you can think of being grilled.
Every kind of fresh fish, meat, pork,  shrimp, lobster, steak, hamburgers,
and even veggies.   This sure was wonderful
and I do not eat much. Charcoal ed to perfection and the scent as our
family walked down the ocean path to the
dining room I will always remember.

Also on these visits remember my breakfast.
Always ordered fresh fish that was cooked perfectly
and served with fresh limes.  The only time I remember
adding fresh fish to my breakfast was on these trips
in the past.

Remember the special smells in the Spring of certain flowers,
newly cut grass, freshly turned soil,  the trees blooming.
The same for fall in my area of aroma coming
from the newly fired tobacco in the local barns.

I love the smell of Lavender and Pine - both very
relaxing to me.  In fact a pleasure is enjoying the
scent of the few herbs I have planted.

I can remember the smell of my four babies.  So fresh and
clean as I held them.  Nothing like it.

Also there is nothing like the scent from fresh laundry
taken from the line that has been blowing in the
wind on a sunny day.  Those sheets on your bed is
a little bit of Heaven that night as you close your eyes.

As I drove down the road yesterday and was trying to
have a blank mind - it did not happen as I was
thinking of much of the above and a whole lot more
I have shared enough to give you an idea.
This may give you some thoughts on this subject....

6 comments:

Sky said...

sounds like you went on a much longer trip yesterday! :)

it has always been fascinating to me how much a role the sense of smell plays in our lives - in creating attractions, in making memories, in associations we develop. i, too, have many memories related to smell. often these return to my consciousness when i least expect them.

MsGraysea said...

Such a beautiful post, and I love the lingering memories of scent-related experiences. It is ironic, as just a few minutes ago, LM called me to say he was drying sheets on the line so we would have lovely fresh sheets when I arrive after work to spend the weekend.
Thank you for this loveliness of the day!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Sky and Marsha, thanks for visiting.

shannon said...

I love nothing more that fresh sheets off the line, just as my Grandmother did:)

Thanks for the memory

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Shannon, thank you j- and I agree...

Laura said...

memories are so precious and fragrances can bring them out as though you are right there and then...it is remarkable too how just thinking about the scent can work the same magic as actually smelling it. I took a walk in the woods this morning, it was cold, but still I could smell the scent of the new flowers blossoming on the bushes, the trees and groundcover...It was such a delight and took me back to childhood rambles through the woods. Such a joy.