Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Crickets

s
Crickets, it seems are prone to find their way into homes with the onset of winter. They are likely to show up in heated areas, such as around fireplaces and stoves.
Crickets are one of the songsters of the insect world. This singing habit means that they do not go unnoticed.
After reading this article, I have decided it is probably too early for them to appear in my city home.

I always associated crickets with the beginning of fall. I can remember waking up at night when I lived in my farm home and hearing a cricket in the house. I would get up and take a flashlightf to find it. Once it was spotted I would pick it up with a tissue and quickly put it outside.

Not long ago I shared with my son that I have not heard any crickets yet. He said, they may not be in your home but you hear them outside in the evening. So tonight I will open the door and see if that is one of the night sounds I hear in the city.

Also this home is not like my over 100 year old farm home. It probably had a lot of places a cricket could sneak inside. I will see if one gets in this new cottage?

Some thoughts this early morning from One Woman on her Journey Through this Life

3 comments:

Judy said...

Hi Ernestine, I, too, used to have crickets get in the house on the farm. I love hearing the night sounds in the country. I used to sit on the porch and listen in the evening to all the insects singing. We are so fortunate to have our great memories of the farm. So many people never get to experience it.

Darlene said...

I had crickets in my last house and they drove my dog wild trying to catch them.

They are very destructive and I did not appreciate their songs. Incidentally, I was told that they make that noise by rubbing their wings together

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Darlene so far no crickets. Will see what happens. Take care of yourself.