Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Sunday, August 5, 2018

Sunday

This was a long, quiet day.  I never stretch out and rest but did this for 1 and 1/2 hr and probably should make a habit of it at this stage of life.  Health issues, not critical but slow me down and do not like the pain.

Anne from the church brings me something every couple of weeks.  I like her cooking, vegetarian, healthy and a lot from her now smaller garden.
She usually tells me what it is, I sometimes forget and just now tried to decipher the ingredients.
I know she mentioned Zucchini and Butternut squash, something else I could no figure it out.   A salad with sliced cucumber, celery, onion, and pimento - she can slice items smaller then I can? The dressing she made I will ask her about.
Also 2 slices of her homemade bread and a small slice of  her Zucchini Chocolate cake.


So the above mentioned, a small amount of each and the last small amount of chicken and dumplings, along with peas was Sunday Meal

This looks like a lot, healthy but I usually eat just several bites of each, did not eat it all.
Never a big eater but trying to gain back the weight I lost during the stay near two of my daughter's.

Another special person Lana, comes by weekly picking up my N.Y.Times, her daughter's one a nurse and one principal of a school enjoy reading on their Sunday visits.,she usually brings me a small piece of something she has baked and every other week a dozen of her fresh eggs.

Linda, a special neighbor visits many Sundays for a short time.

These ladies and more are all so special to me and a blessing I appreciate.

I wonder what would I do without them, seems contact from family is mainly emails and phone calls.

In the morning Therapy person arrives and I wonder at this time and times in the past does
it really helps but do know
I like the visit.

Day ending
and writing at the end of the day and many early mornings to share my plans for the day has become a habit, my special ones
like the information - sometimes :)

Just finished reading May Sarton's book "Life at 82"
I am sounding like her book.  But she was not as healthy as I am a little past her.
She past away a short time after writing this last book.

I will write until I no longer can type....






9 comments:

Mitzi said...

You are so fortunate to have folks who look in on you. And bearing gifts too.
I am a fan of Mae Sarton books also. Have many of her books on my shelves. Also enjoy Gladys Tabor. Just finished reading about her summer home on Cape Cod.
Please keep writing. I love reading about your life and how you are doing.

Rebecca said...

I love the details you include in your posts! Keep it up!

Judy said...

Never stop posting!!! It is good and a way to connect to all of us that love you so!
My children were never brought up to neglect their parents--as I saw my mother often and we visited my grandma every week. For some reason, they don't feel that obligation towards me. I think our children and their children live in the "what is happening right now" and don't have the time to visit. I imagine they will show up for my funeral---or maybe not. It depends on if it happens during a busy time in their lives. LOL

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Rebecca, thank you, Mitzi, I need it at 83 and staying in my cottage,
Judy, I understand.

Tabor said...

So glad you share with your readers. Your life is so interesting when you share you delicious foods. I am glad you have a good social network. It is hard when family lives so far away.

Barbee' said...

I greatly enjoy your stream of consciousness posts. I feel as if I'm right there with you.

JBen said...

I am fairly new to your blog, but I always feel better after I've read what you like to cook, or when I've looked at your beautiful cottage grounds. Keep at it....you are an inspiration!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

JBen, thank yuu and keep returning, tell me about yourself, if you like.

Sky said...

Have I ever told you that May and I corresponded regularly for 10-11 years? She was someone I enjoyed so very much, and I love having the tiny cream pitcher that she used on her breakfast tray every morning here in my home now along with her mother of pearl opera glasses, and a piece of china she received from Henry Longfellow's granddaughter, Anne Longfellow Thorp, with whom she was very close from her school days at Shady Hill. If you have not read Journal of a Solitude, you might want to. May's home on the Maine coast was owned by a local philanthropist, Mary-Leigh Smart, whose will stated that it would be included in a tract of coastal property to be dedicated as a colony for visual artists. It is nice to imagine creativity continuing in that place where so much writing took place.

Glad you have friends checking in on you since you have chosen not to relocate to be closer to your children. Lucky you that you got such yummy food, too!