Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Part Of A Mother's And A Grandmother's Journey

Godspeed

You say goodbye,
smile proudly
as they stand there, so tall
with backpack, camera,
and you hand over a sandwich,
or a fresh peach,
and a lucky penny,
wishing, Godspeed.
You can't go with them,
hold their hand as they cross
whatever street they must
to school, train, or plane ---
or ocean, or midnight sky.
You can only watch,
feeling your heart beat fast,
still warmed from that last hug,
as they walk away,
looking smaller to you
as they grow
to full size on their own.
You swallow tears
arms already feeling empty,
and try to smile.
You think they might look back
for reassurance
or to wave excitement as  their
newest adventure begins.
At last you turn,
go back inside
to whatever house you call home,
make yourself a cup of coffee or tea
and plan your own journey
to destinations unforeseen......

~~Lenore Horowitz~~

5 comments:

Sky said...

love this. reminds me of my mother and her love and how hard it was for her to watch us leave.

Sharon said...

Not a grandmother yet, but as a mother of grown children with their own lives I "can only watch" as they go forward. I was touched by your post about prayer, and that is so true about family as well as friends ~ somedays my most frequently spoken words are "May she/he be safe."

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Sky and Sharon, thanks for visiting. I read this poem and thought of my 4 children, 3 grandchildren - finishing college and my 2 little ones just beginning their school years.
This poem is so true. We want to hold their hand and walk with them and all we can do is let them go.

Balisha said...

All through the years, when my kids would leave to go somewhere, they would look at my face and see that I was holding back tears. They called it my "airport face" As they grow older, I see a bit of it in them. So hard to say goodbye sometimes.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Balisha, the house seems so empty after they leave my cottage. Yet when I am here day to day = just me - does not seem empty...