Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Watching And Waiting - Pileated Woodpecker

 This was posted almost 2 years ago.   I have never seen this special woodpecker near the house since that time.  I am always watching and hear them in the woods.

Wonder why they have not made another visit or have they and I was not aware - wonder.
Maybe that first time visit was to welcome me....



She was talking to her daughter who now lives in Florida. Usually looking out the window as she talks and watching her bird feeders and wondering if anything new will come out of the woods.

"Ohhhhhh - I can't believe it - I knew you were out there." "Mama what is going on?" my daughter asked.

She went on to share that a Pileated Woodpecker was on the old tree not far from her kitchen window. They had been spotted in the woods, but not seen close to her woods home.
Her daughter tells her to hang up the phone and reach for her camera. Shared it was there and then it was gone. She smiles because it will visit again.

This is a picture from a National Geographic site.
Some facts: Pileated Woodpecker - usually 16 to 19 inches long and weigh 8 to 12 lbs.

9 comments:

Marcie said...

Fun! I love to see new birds visiting the neighborhood. Doesn't happen very often, and I love the familiar, comfortable birds as well. :)

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Aisling, I love all the birds. But this one was spectacular!!! I had been waiting for a visit. Did not if they would come near the house.
It was like an unexpected gift - this day!!

Tabor said...

They are more shy than other woodpeckers, but they will return if you have some nice wood filled with bugs!

Balisha said...

Isn't the pileated a majestic bird. We don't have them, but my daughter does in WI. Enjoy his return.
Balisha

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Tabor, all of my old trees are probably filled with bugs!!
Balisha, thank you for checking in.
I have snow again!!

MsGraysea said...

They are an amazing site. I am so happy for you living in the wonderful place of peace and beauty. They will come back!
We are awaiting that snow you have.

MsGraysea said...

What a great catch, that you were there to see your beautiful 'friend" again....they are a spectacular sight.

Judy said...

We are too far north for these wonders. Beautiful birds

Sky said...

just stopping by to check on you and say that i hope the pain has subsided and you are feeling a bit more energized and back in your own skin again. sending good wishes on this very early thursday morning here in the pnw.