Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Egyptian Onions

I do not remember where I read about this magazine "The Heirloom Gardener". I do know I enjoy reading gardening magazines (also cook books) and this one looked different.
An interesting story about the young couple who own this nursery.

I ordered the magazine and it arrived about 10 days ago. I like it, and I was immediately drawn to an article about - old fashioned winter onions. When I lived in the old farm house over 30 years ago I was given some multiplying onions. Planted them and I had onions all year for years. When I sold the farm house and embarked on a different lifestyle I left the onions behind. The new owners were not interested in my wonderful onions. This article reminded me of my special onions.

I will add that most of my gardening treasures at past homes were soon covered with lawn :(

There were three suppliers listed in the publication, and all were out of the onion that I once raised. (at least I have tracked it down)

They did have an onion they called "Egyptian Walking Onion". This onion really sounds unusual.
An article in the magazine about this onion.

The bulbils are at the top of the onions and are useful in cooking. The onion itself is not very big and you use it like a shallot. The onion bares year around and multiplies rapidly. You can use the green part like a scallion. This is a long article but if anyone is interested you can look them up online.

I ordered my onions from Nichols Garden Nursery - 1190 Old Salem Rd NE - Albany, Oregon 97321. The onion sets arrived in less then a week. The order was for 10 bulbs and there must have been 15 in the small bag. They have been planted and watered. Can't wait to see what they are like :) If they make it - I will have onions for everyone :) Hope they grow with our unusual dry weather.

The Heirloom Gardener
2278 Baker Creek Road
Mansfield, Mo 65704

10 comments:

Jessi Cotterill said...

I love onions in my spicy Thai salad. I can't wait to see your next post of what you do with your onions. Are they organic?

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Dear Jessi - love hearing from you early in the morning in the woods.
Aware it is almost night time in your area. These onions are organic and I will just use them in my cooking and salads. Hope they live. I had a little rain and am watering and it is still warm so maybe they will surface the ground. Have a wonderful day wishes sent to you from across the miles of water.

Tabor said...

I will have to pass this info on to my husband who handles all the veggies in the garden. This sounds good since our onions did not do so well. Yesterday I planted a bag of crocus. I do not have any crocus in my yard. I should buy another bag and plant some at the edge of the woods.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Tabor, an interesting magazine. This young couple are selling heirloom seeds. You might enjoy a subscription. I wanted the multiplying onions. They were wonderful - was so nice not to ever have to buy an onion. Will see if these make it. This area is damp. I have a million squirels in the woods. I planted about 100 buttercup bulbs and they may eat them all ..

Ugich Konitari said...

Long years ago
she planted
the onions
and
the soil remembered.

And like her life,
they grew around
a
firm central mind,
layers
upon layers
of translucent
fair surfaces
holding together,
then
at some point,
bursting forth
in spikes of
teen green.

Some seasons
the onions
waited for her,
and
when
she didn't come,
they slunk back quietly
into the soil,
seeing the modern
"writing on the lawns"......

This summer,
the soil,
tickled
by
the moths,
worms,
peppers,
tomatoes,
turnips
gossiping
about
her return,
is ecstatic.

Washed
by the summer rain,
it has shaken itself
up;
it cant believe,
the
ONIONS ARE COMING BACK AGAIN !

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Dear Special One - from over the oceans far away.
It is too early for you to make me cry. You honor me with your writing.
Thank you - Ugich - have a special day.

Judy said...

I can't wait to see how the onions winter over. i so loved having a garden!!!

Sharon said...

My friend in town had a wonderful garden this year ~ she shared beans, kale, beets, cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, and hot peppers with us. It was such a treat! Hope your Egyptian Onions do well.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Judy, try have something next Spring. You can even plant some things in pots. Sharon, there is nothing like fresh veggies. Better then the store :)
Both of you have a good day.l

Anonymous said...

I love onions, too. I can't wait to see how yours grow. I am going to look the magazine up online. Thanks for the info. Have a good weekend.