Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Friday, August 1, 2008

Friday Thinking

One of my favorite blogs is Alexandra's "Wellfleet Chezsven" hopefully I can visit her Bed and Breakfast one day. I smiled as I read about recent guests from Switzerland removing their shoes before entering a room. This is a habit my children and myself and now grandchildren have always practiced. With a past of being in the construction business and living in the country, shoes were never clean. All through the year and even now when my children visit and also their friends shoes come off at the front door. I can remember many parents commenting to me "how do you get them to take their shoes off". It is just something we have always done. When you see a lot of shoes at the door, maybe that helps!!!!

A quick trip today to my old homeplace. Since it was Friday the traffic was really bad. I left before 8:00 this morning and was fine but the return trip was not to pleasant. All was well. Some quick visits, errands and lunch. I could not wait to return home to my city cottage. This is a new emotion for this not lived in too long - home.

Yesterday something unexpected happened that truly unsettled me. I was so ashamed of myself because a trait that I rarely have and have not demonstrated for years came forth from me. I seek the ability to quickly forgive myself. I thought I had grown past such an outburst of anger.

Among my emails was a letter that contained some excellent advice. Even though I am aware of this I needed to be reminded. It was worded so eloquently.

"There will always be bumps along the road of life and if you can finesse those by giving them perspective (i.e, compared to health issues or the problems of the underprivileged), you will find the problems are either surmountable over time or may not be problems at all, when viewed in a more reflective lens. Although it sounds hackneyed, how a person reacts to the challenges they face is a true measure of character and a short fuse is rarely worth the selfinflicted emotional (and physical) toll, not to mention the relationship damage that is caused, albeit unintentionally to those who love you.

Thoughts this evening on my continued Journey Through This Life

3 comments:

Meredith said...

Ernestine, I know just how you feel.

There is something about getting unsolicited advice via email, however well-intentioned or correct it may be.

I appreciate my blog friends' advice so much, but sometimes it takes me a few days to reply because I am just so undone by their words.

Darlene said...

I guess I read the post wrong. I didn't take it that the advice was what angered you. I understood you to mean that you felt anger and then read the advice.

If the advice angered you I hope you will realize that the person who wrote it just meant to help.

Judy said...

I hope you are no longer angry and are enjoying your weekend and like Darlene said I am sure the person only meant to help.