Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Sunday, August 31, 2008

What Do I See







When I sit at my kitchen table and have a meal, this is what I see when I look straight ahead.
My small screened porch is where I stay a lot when the weather permits. I like to eat my meals, read and just sit and try and be still on this porch. Visual appeal is very important to me. I have said a number of times that if I had one room with a dirt floor. The floor would be swept and on a crate there would be a container with some kind with a flower in it, if the container was an old tin can. Everything on this porch is old. The iron furniture has been used for many a family picture. I have an article that was in the newspaper about our home when my youngest was about 3 years old. We are all sitting around an old iron table. The wicker rocker I bought at a shop about 35 years ago and at that time the papers said that it was over 100 years old. The rug old old also. At one time it was in my sons bedroom. Not a fine rug but I like the colors and it has been put on my screen porches for years. I have learned over the years that these type of rugs never wear out. It took a young bride a few years to appreciate these rugs.

I love flowers. Hey that is some kind of a statement. When winter arrives I have some plants inside, my 2 orchids and a Christmas cactus that usually blooms about Thanksgiving. Also bring in several off of my porch to winter inside and especially my wonderful Begonia which is about 20 years old. It is huge and so root bound. But I am afraid to take it out of the pot and replant. It would probably make a dozen smaller plants.
When I sit on my front porch swing my eyes always see this use to be fountain, then birdbath and now I have have some vines planted in it. It is over 40 years old. I have moved it to six different locations. Each time a focal point in a garden. It is a woman carrying an armful of logs and holding on to a small boy's hand. I smile when I look at it. It was purchased at a time I was carrying a briefcase. With a lifestyle change to the old farm home it truly represented me.
I kept a fire going in the fireplace all winter and on cool and rainy days. Now it has a new home at my city cottage.

I never cease to smile to myself when I look at this lady and a small boy. Brings back memories of my small son and his mother.














5 comments:

Mim said...

Your place is lovely; I love the fountain and your screened in porch. You have nice memories even though you have lived in many homes.
Yes I agree..I like to be up early before the sunrise, but by evening I am ready for an early bedtime.
Mim

Mim said...

HI Again
Yes I crave the morning hours.. must have something to do with age.
Years ago I remember being able to sleep very late!
Mim

Judy said...

I, too, am an early riser. I enjoy the quietness of the early morning. I love your view of your porch. It looks like such a nice place to relax.

lilalia said...

It does look like an oasis. I loved reading your post with its reflection and sense of contentment. Good thoughts to take me off today to work.

Renie Burghardt said...

I am an early riser as well. Love the morning!

Your fountain and porch are beautiful. And I love flowers and plants, and have an Angel Wing Begonia, which is now huge! I also bring a pot of impatients inside every fall, from the deck, and they bloom all winter. In the spring, they only need a little "hair cut" and are soon blooming again. They are pink, my favorite color. :-)

I enjoyed this post. Almost time for bed for this early riser.

Best wishes,

Renie