Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Saturday, August 30, 2008

Chasing a Butterfly



Oh my what a morning. Up early as usual and thought I will go out and admire my soon not to be here garden. There they were, butterflies everywhere. Quickly I came inside for my camera. My first attempt and I am really trying.
There she or he is. Take camera out of pocket. Focus, where is it. They are flying everywhere. I am not quick enough!!!!!
This goes on for over an hour. The sun is getting hotter and hotter. I am having trouble seeing without my sunglasses. Cannot focus camera with sunglasses on.
About to give up. Then I spot him.
First attempt at an image like this in my garden.
Will not win a prize.
But hey it's a beginning.

13 comments:

Mim said...

Lovely.. those butterflies though can be so elusive to photograph!I am having the same trouble taking pictures of my hummingbirds. Good job.
Mim

Darlene said...

I think it would win a prize, Ernestine. It's a great shot and you did what a good photographer has to do; be patient.

Marcie said...

Ernestine, I love your photograph! And what a wonder description of the moment... with all of those butterflies flitting around you. :)

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Aisling and Darlene thank you for the compliment and encouragement
I feel as though I am not even qualified to enter this land of professionals.
Mim, hummingbirds I am not ready for. Maybe next Spring.

Nan said...

Lucky you!!

A quick note to just let you know I did not finish the book I mentioned the other day. I can't really explain it, but toward the end I just didn't care anymore. :<)

Renie Burghardt said...

Actually, both photos are lovely! Looks like the butterfly was enjoying some nourishment from the zinnia. I think it's a zinnia. And it's lovely as well.

I was trying to photograph a goldfinch in a Marsh today. Will see later how it turned out.

Ernestine, I would like to add you to my Blog Roll, if you don't mind.

Have a great evening!

Renie

Beverly said...

You took a beautiful photo. How do you download one picture at a time?

Jessi Cotterill said...

great pic!! I think you're a pro.

I like to see more of your garden. I like flowers.

I'm baking brownies today with my new oven. Wish me luck...

:) Jessi

Tabor said...

That is exactly the point. It is a beginning and you had so much fun doing it! Congratulations. Don't even think about the professionals.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Tabor, thank you for the encouragement. Jessi, wish I was there to share your brownies, Beverly, you can do it.

Judy said...

These are wonderful butterfly pictures. You did a great job. I think you under estimate yourself.
Pretty soon we will be seeing all kinds of great pictures from you.
I probably would not be as patient as you to get the picture.Good job.

millie garfield said...

Your pictures are just great. You had to have a lot of patience to get that butterfly getting his goodies from the flower.

Good job!!

Liza on Maui said...

This butterfly photo is a winner! Great shot Ernestine!

Go over to my blog for another beautiful hymn...

Love,
Liza