Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Monday, May 5, 2014

Callie, Project and New Blooms

Corn is emerging in front field and deer are visiting in the evening.
They look so thin - like the humming birds...
When  Callie spots the deer she takes off chasing them
and they run away quickly.  The other evening a young  one stood still and started chasing her :)
Have never seen this happen before....
A new project is beginning.
I have always liked stepping stones approaching my cottage and parking in gravel drive
 but this soon will be a little different.
A  walk and also a concrete pad close will make it easier for me then parking in
gravel drive, going up stepping stones to screen porch when I am unloading a car full
of groceries or weather is bad.  Lately have been parking in grass to be closer, this is fine in dry weather
but not when ground is wet or in the Winter.   Really did not want to do this like some
other slight changes I am trying to make.

When visiting a friend last year I noticed her really big Cosmos blooms.  Have always liked
this plant and planted many times with no luck.  Yesterday she brought me some out of her garden
that had come up.   Hope this is the beginning of this plant in my garden.  Several plants
I have had for years have not come up this year and it is like losing an old friend :(

Two new blooms

6 comments:

Tabor said...

I love my Cosmos and must plant more. Mine did not return this year as well, after so many years of not planting them! You can look into a flat and hard porous surface if you do not like the pavement. It can be more expensive though.

thewiildmagnola said...

Cosmos seem so free easy to dance in the softest wind. I love Hollyhock and Foxglove, to hot to grow well here in the south.

Little things matter.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Tabor, Hope to have good luck with these plants. Sandy, I have luck with Hollyhocks but want Foxglove so bad and no luck :)

lil red hen said...

I wonder if the deer are grazing on the corn; they graze on the rye that the farmer sows in the fall. Callie will be good at keeping them from your flowers.

Funny ~ I have good luck with foxglove but not so much with hollyhocks.

Friko said...

May all your plans come to fruition, metaphorically speaking.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Cosmos are happy flowers. I hope all of your changes will go smoothly and I know they will be better all around for you.

Love and hugs ~ FlowerLady