Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Tuscan White Bean Soup with Collard Greens

An easy soup to make
and so healthy.

Since it was a busy day yesterday
with a new doctor to visit and blood work,
not feeling the best today
I just made this.....

Over time I have experimented with different greens
and since I bought Collard Greens yesterday
this is what I will use.

Onion cooked in olive oil until translucent
in same pan I add some chopped carrot,
celery and garlic.
Cook about 3 to 5 minutes
put in large pan
Add to 2 cans of white beans that you rinse many times.
sometimes I will mash 1/2 of the beans.
Add chicken or vegetable broth.
Simmer 10 or 15 minutes
Now add a bunch of chopped collard greens
that you have washed, removed tough stem and chopped.
Cook until wilted and how done you want them.
I usually go about 15 minutes.
Add some Rosemary and Thyme (still in my winter garden)
and a splash of Balsamic Vinegar.
In my freezer I have some chopped ham and polish sausage
could add a handful of either of these
may not
or sprinkle some chopped bacon and
Romano cheese on top (this is what I have on hand)

30 minutes later
I want to share
Just had a bowl of this soup
it is delicious..
Also I halfed the recipe for me
using 1 can of beans
and half the bunch of collard greens.
Lunch today and will have this evening
and lunch tomorrow.

14 comments:

Tabor said...

Great recipe and lovely photo. YOu always eat so healthy!!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Tabor, thank you. I try to eat healthy and addiction is anything sweet. Some aging health issues and my surgery end of month - so -
really trying extra hard to eat healthy. This was really tasty
and so simple to make....

lil red hen said...

There's nothing like a good soup to satisfy a person's hunger. The photo makes it look wonderful!

Vagabonde said...

That sounds like a delicious soup. I have some leftover ham so I’ll try it. I have some fresh rosemary and I think it will give it a nice touch.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Charlotte and VB, thanks for visiting...

Balisha said...

What a simple soup and it looks delicious. Please keep us informed about your surgery. We all care for you and wish you well.

Hugs, Balisha

Beverly said...

Just emailed you...the soup looks good. Do you ever use frozen greens? Just wondered how they taste. I love greens, but, hate all that washing. I thought I had washed spinach enough and my teeth did not like that gritty dirt.....LOL

the wild magnolia said...

Oh dear how delicious this soup look and sounds. Thank you for the recipe. We have had our first frost and I am on the look out for Florida collards.

Soup has a magical healing affect on me. I love good soup.

Be blessed and let us hear when you are home. Is someone coming to take care of you?

((hugs))

Sky said...

yummm. this looks fabulous, and i am sure tastes so, too! please keep me posted on how you are doing after your surgery, or ask jamie to let me know, please. had hoped you would not have to have surgery. :( i'm sure you will do just fine and know you will be glad to get this over with. hugsssss to you, my friend.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Beverly, I used fresh. Really like fresh greens if available.
Will grow some in my little garden. Yes you have to rinse, rinse and then rinse again :)
Balisha, Sandra and Sky, thanks for visiing. Need to get this over January 30 - since I love being outdoors. The worst part of anything like this is the waiting.
Wish I could go today :) My Jamie will take me, bring me home and spend the night. Not much ever done but sure this is all I will require...

Sky said...

...and rest afterwards which is exactly where you will get into trouble! you gotta rest afterwards so you don't mess up what they just did! maybe jamie can tie you to the bed! hahaha

Sharon said...

Homemade soup is comfort food. It is a good idea to nourish yourself before your surgery, and that's good practice for taking care of yourself afterwards. Then spring will come and the outdoors will call to you again ~

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Sky and Sharon, thank you - your special...

Anonymous said...

This looks divine!