Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Monday, January 23, 2012

A Different January

The terrible storm system that was predicted for my area - missed me.
There was a lot of rain and I have limbs on the ground from the old trees everywhere
so there must have been a lot of wind - but it did not wake me up.

 On my trip to local town  this morning I noticed that many of the fields are full of
newly purchased cows.  Stopped in the middle of the road and took a picture of this fine
cow..... Wonder in this farming community if this is more
profitable then planting in the fields.
When I lived in the old farm house I bottle fed 4 baby calves years later when cows were sold
I had a dozen or more.
I can still hear their cries as they loaded them to take to stockyard.  They were all pets.  Sad memory...

When I returned home and as I unloaded truck I noticed a few things
Buttercups emerging
Lilac bush bursting with buds
Plants at the edge of the woods are surfacing
Many of my herbs continued to flourish
Picture is of parsley
Rosemary, lavender, thyme, sage are all
still green.

So at present time - this is a different kind of January.

10 comments:

lil red hen said...

For sure, we get attached to our farm animals. My bottle calf has been weaned and turned in with other calves, so our bonding is being broken. Probably a good thing.

I'm hoping things don't bud out too much and then we have bad weather in Feb. to kill them back.

Happy to hear you weren't affected by the storm too much.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Charlotte, like you sure hope we do not have a hard freeze to kill what is surfacing. It would surely be unusual if we do not....

Tabor said...

I thought about you as I read your daughter's blog post about the storm. I was sure she would have said something if you had become homeless or hurt. Such a scary storm!

mermaid said...

The wind did not wake you up because you have more equanimity and depth to notice new life sprouting all around you.

Sky said...

we just dug out from a very heavy snowfall that lasted a week, topped with several inches of ice a few days ago. despite this i saw a few buds breaking through the stems on the rosebushes this morning - very strange!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Tabor, I am still here :) just rain and wind. Sky, I do not miss the snow...
Kaveri, thank you for these kind words..

Janell Pappas said...

We've a different January as well, here in Oklahoma. One day seventies, the next twenty with the proverbial wind whipping down the plain. I find myself up and down too -- without winter to keep me in, I can't settle in one place. I wonder if the tulips have received sufficient cold to bloom in spring? Or whether I have?

I find myself watching films full of winter scenery; the frozen sea off the Scotland coast from "The Winter Guest" lives with me still, three nights after viewing it. I guess we keep winter as we can.

Judy said...

I was never allowed to make pets of the calves or sheep--we never gave them names--because my mother knew, they'd be off to market and I would be bawling worse then they were. LOL

Sharon said...

We were grateful for the snow last week because it covered the flower beds. Now "January thaw" is in full swing and I wonder if enough snow will remain to protect the bulbs and roots.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Janell, Judy and Sharon, yes, a different winter...