Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Woodmont Cottage

Why is it so difficult for me to stay away from a building project. I want so to be on the site watching all the work that is being done. Like I want to see every nail that is driven.
I can remember packing my lunch for other building projects. Taking my folding chair and just enjoying what was going on. Also found out that some days when I did not go something was not done the way I wanted it. One time wrong window. They put a nice window that was suppose to go in my bathroom in the utility room. Caught this as it was being framed. No matter how I mark things it seems there is an electric plug not put where I want it. Also the vents for heat and air are sometimes where I do not want them.
After high school at 17 years of age I worked in the engineering department at Ford Motor Company. The only girl that worked with about 15 men. When my husband and I went into the ready-mix concrete business in our twenties, once again worked with men in construction. As my life continued and being solo I built and remodeled a number of homes. So now that I look back through the years I guess that is why I am comfortable with this atmosphere.
How do I describe myself. I am very feminine, petite and business like. Working with men I have never found anyone that treated me disrespectfully. But usually I stayed in the background but guess they knew I was sometimes in charge and signed their checks. Of course in other social arena's I came across a different kind of attention.
So I talked to my builder three times yesterday and miss not being on site. But it is cold and muddy and I do not need to be there. As I hung up he said "everything is alright and I will call you if I have a question". Another flaw I have among my many - I am accustom to being in charge. Have been since I took care of myself from the age of about 14 and on. It is also difficult for me to trust. Wish I was not that way but again it has to do with my past. We have a warming trend on the way tomorrow so I will be on the road the remainder of the week.
Fatigue was a big problem when I built this home. Up and down the road every day. Like some kind of addiction - I could not stay away. Was so weary when I drove home and did not feel like cooking or eating. I cannot I cannot do that this time. My children will abandon me.

Some early morning thoughts from One Woman

10 comments:

Ugich Konitari said...

I think one of the things our body tells us when we fall sick, is that we need to slow down a bit. Not just physically, but mentally too. As much as it may be difficult to do, now that you are sort of in the throes of housebuilding, it just may be a good idea to take things a bit easier...... jsut my 2 cent worth from a world away....

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

ugich, you are 100% correct. I love reading your blog. You have such writing talent. I just ramble along with entries that maybe in the future some grandchild might enjoy reading.

Judy said...

I know you are excited. I would be. I am like you in that I would want to make sure it was done right and the way I wanted it. I am so looking forward to some warm days here, too. I know you will be out and on the road to your new home.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Judy, always makes me smile to have your comments.

Mim said...

Well it's your money and you have the time and knowledge, so of course you want to be right there as it's happening.
Plus you know the design and how you want it.
Even in my small project this fall, I attended to each detail daily... a real necessity I think in construction.
So carry on in the way that brings you joy.
You just might have to put a stew or soup in the crockpot before you leave to go out to the site!
Stay well.

Sky said...

enjoy yourself. maybe you could find a way to accommodate both needs - the one to be there and monitor and the one to take better care of yourself this time? maybe you could go to the work site but only be there half the day instead of the whole day - long enough to check and be sure what they did in the morning was right and if not that they remedy the problem by the next afternoon when you arrive again. compromise usually works to our advantage. good luck and have fun!

Tabor said...

The dance that we do with our builder's can be very rhythmic, or not so, when we step on each other's toes. So much is involved in the personalities with this. I wish you much luck...breathe in breathe out.

Nan said...

You'll be fine. Just trust your own sense of what you need and it'll be alright. You are so wise and strong. It's not a bad thing to not trust builders completely. One does hear horrific stories of mistakes. And it is your place they are working on.

BlondeMomBlog (Jamie) said...

I am very glad (and thankful) you are pacing yourself! We wouldn't abandon you, but we might consider it. ;)

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Sky, Tabor and Nan - thank you for checking in with you good advice.
My Jamie thanks that you will not abandon mom!!!