Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Love Affair With a Table

The table was purchased during another lifestyle. When she spotted it in an antique shop 45 years ago it was love at first sight. A heavily carved over 200 year old English refractory table that could seat 10 to 12 members of the family easily. She had come a long way from the small home in a large industrial city. This table has been used for holiday dinners and special occasions for many years.

Opportunities came quickly for much the world had to offer. The family grew rapidly and the size of their home. Never in her growing up years would she even dreamed of a table like this. Success grew and it ended along with a marriage. She started over with a simpler lifestyle. The table was continued to find a place in her home. It looked perfect in the old farm house. Over the last years there is no room or desire for something this massive. She thought of having a carpenter cut it down smaller but that was just a fleeting thought. A shame to ruin something so beautiful. None of her children would probably ever have a space that would welcome something like this.

She has tried to place it somewhere and even offering it at a fraction of its worth with no luck. She is having thoughts of donating it to a library. It would be so useful for many to sit at with their books.

The table has to find another life other then being stored in her garage and careful protected.
She is in the process of building a small home in the country and her carpenter mentioned yesterday "you know you could sit it in the middle of the floor." She replied "no way."

An early morning thought from One Woman as she continues to simplify her life.

6 comments:

Tabor said...

Oh I have been there a few times. Trying to hang on to something from a larger home. We have a large oriental rug that belonged to my husband's parents and then we used it for years in a large family room. Its memories are greater in value than the actual rug and it now sits in our basement all rolled up and we are debating how to get rid of it! I also have an Ethan Allen dining room set that no longer fits in my house with no dining room. Was saving for my son, but I don't think he plans on marrying any time soon!

Nan said...

How about building the house around space for the table?! If you really love the piece and it doesn't make you feel any sad memories and it does make you happy, there must be a way to fit it into a space so it doesn't look crowded. It could be your own reading table and computer table and eating table and a place for those grandchildren to sit and color.

Judy said...

Over the years I have saved so many pieces I thought my children would want someday only to find out they don't care a thing about some of them. I am gradually letting go and getting rid of things I thought would be in our family forever. I guess families don't get together for big meals like they used to and sitdown dinners. I know exactly what you are doing through with this item.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Tabor and Judy - you are right.
Items that were special to me have no meaning to my children.
I downscaled drastically through two moves and now another. I just do not want the clutter. A feeling of freedom when these articals are gone. Anything I got rid of "I never missed".
Nan, good idea but I have no wall space. This table would take up too much room. Also house is already built and now ready for wallboard. Thanks to all of you for commenting.

kenju said...

At least your children are not fighting over it. I have a few antiques, but the only one they all want is my china cabinet!

I'd try to find a place for a table like that, if I possibly could.

Sky said...

wow, it sounds perfect in a home library or a home office. wish you had the room to keep it, but if you don't why not donate it to a local library or a foundation where you might get a tax break and it might have a lovely new home?