Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Friday, March 20, 2009

Wonderful Day and Potato Soup


A beautiful Spring day for my drive to the country.
Shingles are being put on roof. Along my driveway the 6 huge piles of topsoil have been moved by the house. More gravel put on drive where it had washed. I am so pleased with the progress and quality of work. More so then the other 3 homes I have built over the last 12 years. Economy might be the answer and the workers are glad to get the work. Although it was sunny it was breezy and it was somewhat cool for me. Sat in the sun eating my lunch. Headed down the road home and took these two images to show what I see as I leave my driveway. One is of the fields filled with 25 or more baby calves. (enlarge for better viewing) The other is just beautiful green wheat fields. I stopped at a local store and bought 50 lbs of grass seed and 3 flowering trees. A Japanese Cherry, Pink Dogwood and Red Bud. I know I have a lot of trees but I want to plant something. Returned home and grass had been cut at city cottage.
3 of my children on a trip home over the next few days. My daughter and soninlaw will be flying in from Tampa, another with family returning from Florida and my special son will be arriving from Thailand first of the week. Safe traveling thoughts go out from this mama.
Now - what do I eat? Near the end of the day and I surely do not feel like cooking. Felt like this yesterday so I made potato soup. Tried to duplicate some that I tasted in a restaurant a while back that was so good. Turned out pretty good. Potatoes quartered and cook - then add carrots, celery, onions that are finely chopped, cooked and added to potatoes when done - also add garlic. Grated cheese and milk to thickness you like and I add chopped bacon on top. Guess this is what I will have again tonight. Just read my recipe - lol - can tell I am tired. Along with cookies and milk and some ice cream.
A good day for One Woman

12 comments:

Tabor said...

Boy that soup sounds so good. Maybe will do that tomorrow night..tonight I have some thawed hamburger that must be used so we will grills hamburgers even though the breeze is a little nippy.

Sarah Lulu said...

I hope you enjoyed your soup and that you get some rest.

I enjoyed the photos very much.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Tabor thank you - did not think I posted it to good. But I do not go by recipes and always change and just went by what was shared with me. Sarh Lu - thank you - yes I am putting on my pj's and the sun has not gone down.
Both of you have a good weekend.

Balisha said...

Hi,
I like your selection of trees. The new picture is beautiful.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Balisha, I took this picture in my small backyard a little while ago.
Could not get it smaller. Too weary to fool with it. I need to wait and see what I have in those woods!! Just wanted to plant something. I know you understand.

Tabor said...

Just want to thank you for your comments on my bird photos. You will have many I am sure, especially if you put out feeders and plant a few berry plants. I am so excited for your new adventure!

Darlene said...

I love potato soup and practically lived on it during my pregnancies. When my tummy is upset it seems to help. I never thought of putting cheese in it, but the bacon sounds like a good addition.

Are those Black Angus calves? They look black in the photo, but it could be the time of day and distance that give that appearance.

Your photos are great, by the way.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Tabor, you are welcome. Darlene, yes they are Black Angus. The fields surrounding my new country home are filled with new calves.
They were all lounging in the sun.
The soup is easy to prepare and healthy - I guess. Thank you for the compliment on my images. I am such a novice I am almost reluctant to post. But I am enjoying myself and I guess that is what counts.

Judy said...

I love potato soup and can eat it anytime especially with cornbread. Your views are wonderful. I am so glad everything is coming along well. Spring has hit Kentucky and I can't stay inside. I am having a hard time even blogging and commenting because I want to be outside so much.

kenju said...

I know I'd love that soup! Hope your family has safe travels.

MsGraysea said...

What a lovely trip to Woodhaven you describe.
The soup sounds so good, too. Just yesterday, I stopped in at a local bakery which makes wonderful soups, and I bought myself some potato leek soup which I will have tomorrow. It is still looking and feeling much like winter here....there will be a high of 31 tomorrow. I cannot wait to get to the Bahamas on Sat!
Sunshine to you!
Marcia

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Judy, Kenju and Marcia - thanks for dropping in. They say it is warm today but for some reason it seems chilly. May just be me. Have worked outside most of day.
Spring - I welcome you!!!