Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Pear Tree

Last year I planted a small Pear Tree.
Checked this morning and I spotted 6 pears.

This land I have returned to is sure producing.

In the past when living at the old farm house I planted  a small orchard which included apple, plum, peach, cherry and pear.  Two trees of each were planted.   I loved seeing the blossoms on the trees in the Spring.   Had to be careful as I drove the lawn tractor to cut grass and drove through this small orchard as there seemed to be hundreds of bees in the Spring.    At that time in my life I would make jellies and preserves.

For years  living another lifestyle  I would still try and locate pears in the Fall.
I have an old fashion pear preserve recipe which my mother gave me.   This recipe is so
simple and makes wonderful pear preserves.

I do not care for  jelly or preserves from the grocery but do sometimes break down and buy
a jar of grape or fig which I make a special cake from.  Sometimes will purchase Guava which I was
introduced to in Jamaica.

Hopefully this Fall I can locate some fresh pears and maybe next year will have my own
to make this special pear preserves.

A small bag of pears makes about 6 small jars of preserves  and this is all I need to have on hand.


~~~The art of being wise is knowing what to overlook~~~  William James

3 comments:

Mamun said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
MsGraysea said...

What a prolific little piece of heaven you have there, The pears are so beautiful in the sunlight, and I am sure they will be equally delicious. We always had a pear tree on our farm, and my Mum would preserve them....they made a delicious dessert in the deep of winter.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Marcia, just counted another pear :)
everything is growing so rapidly and I am plannin in my mind where I will place plants I split.
Would be nice to have someone here that enjoyed this lifestyle and would help :) or rather maybe...