Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Arriving In The Mail And Corn Bread Recipe

Sitting at the computer by the window,
I saw him approaching my cottage.
The same mail carrier  I have had
for over 30 years.  I have left this property
twice but he was always here when I returned.
He always says "welcome home."

So nice that he puts bulky mail on my screen porch
if I am not home or do not hear him honk the horn in his car.

Sometimes when bake I share something with him.
A small package arrived today and is so welcome on one of these
long very warm afternoons.

"Among White Clouds" Buddhist Hermit Masters of China Mountains.
Fascinated when I read about them.
Relate to them all though I have not gone far into the mountains.
just located in a quiet area seeking more simplicity and nature in my life.
Discovered them through reading some of my son's
Chinese poetry books.   He told me about this DVD and I ordered.

Also a type of book I rarely read.
Will be entertaining "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel" will take me on a journey out of the woods.
~~~Times Literary ~~~ a book about remembering too late or not to late - how to be alive....
A book about an elegant retirement home at a bargain price in a far away land that is enticing to several retirees and
turns out to be not what they expected .

This turned out to be what I did not expect.  Most of the characters were kind of sad and unhappy and
did not care for a lot of the language.  I wondered are people really like this or have I been somewhat
protected even though I have lived a full life among normal and a lot of crazy people!!!

Going to donate this book along with other's to local library as I can really not think of anyone
I would want to pass it on to.

On another warm afternoon will look at the video..

Recipe as requested by some....

Corn Bread recipe I have used for over 50 years.  A young neighbor brought this to me after
the birth of my son - along with a big bowl of fresh green beans and new potatoes.

1 cup of  plain corn meal
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg - beaten
l cup of buttermilk    (If I do not have since I rarely use buttermilk I use 1 cup of milk with 1 tbp of  apple cider vinegar as a substitute - let it sit for about 5 minutes until it thickens)
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tbsp bacon grease

I usually cook 2 slices of bacon in iron skillet  while oven is heating to 425 degrees
Use some of this grease in corn bread batter
and leave the rest in the skillet so it is greased very good.  I buy lean bacon so there is just enough
Be sure and put skillet in oven to get real hot before you pour batter into it.
Also be sure to use pot holders when removing skillet to pour batter into it.

Pour batter into hot greased skillet and bake about 10 minutes - will be slightly golden brown on
top - remove from oven and let it sit a few minutes before flipping out or just cut from skillet.

I now cut this recipe in half in my super small iron skillet and just enough for one for several days.

9 comments:

Judy said...

I think they made a movie of that book. I think I might like to read the book. Was it worth the read?

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Judy, I found the book disturbing and would not want to pass it on to anyone I know. You need something uplifting after all you have been through. Maybe the movie will come across differently.
I do know I am of a sensitive nature and maybe it is just me...

Lynn said...

Sitting at the doctor’s office one day a man in slacks and a cotton shirt took a seat across from me. I kept glancing at him over my book in what I thought was a discreet way. I just could not place him, yet I knew I should recognize him. Finally he said, “I’m your mailman.” With all the budget cuts, how long will we have these unsung heroes?

Tabor said...

Small town life. I remember a mail man that we had for years. Now since the pine trees have destroyed my mail box twice, I drive to the post office and pick up my mail. Some times is sits there for days!! Oh well. Soon many Post Offices will be just a memory as we hired some private company at greater expense to deliver our mail.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Tabor and Lynn - I for one would miss my mailman. Another something I like about living in the country.

Sky said...

the movie (and i assume the book) is a comedy and is supposed to be hysterically funny. i have not seen the movie yet, but we plan to see it this week. it has a very good cast.

i hope you get some rain. i would love to know your garden is happily refreshed.

Sky said...

here is the official trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDY89LYxK0w

well, it doesn't look like a true comedy to me, but it does look like parts of it will be great fun. i feel like it will be insightful in a variety of ways as well.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Sky, thank you. I would live to see the movie and maybe it would come across differently then the book. Sometimes they do...
The book I found almost depressing and sure do not need that in my life and with the 100 degree plus tempertures. Have a good day...

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Sky, meant to say like to see the movie - typing error. Too early to be on computer...