Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Greetings From Copenhagen

A special letter from my grandson. I have a folder titled "Letters From Thailand" from my son and I will start another file for my grandchildren.

No words to describe what these letters mean to me. As I read them - I smile and eyes are full of tears. To think this busy young man took the time to write to his grandma at Woodhaven.


I am still smiling !!!!


Grandma,
How are you? Copenhagen has been a great experience so far, I have been here a little over a month now and finally feel settled in. The city itself is very beautiful and traditional Nordic architecture. The Danish culture is also very interesting. The people are very nice to Americans even though they can come off a bit cold at
first. The biggest difference so far has been the prices of things. Since their taxes are so high it raises the prices of all the goods, so eating out is very expensive!
It has not been too bad though because I have started cooking alot and actually am finding I enjoy making my own meals. Hopefully that is something I will take back with me when I go back to America. I have taken a couple trips already, I took a cruise to Oslo, Norway which was very beautiful, the sunsets and sunrise on the ocean were really amazing sights. Then this weekend I just got back from Oktoberfest in Munich, Germany. That was a pretty crazy experience, almost 2 million people go to Munich for the festival. It was a really cool experience seeing so many people from all across the world,everyone there is so open and friendly and met a lot of really interesting people.
The weather here has been pretty nice with it usually being in the 60s. However it is also very rainy but usually the rain doesn't last. Everyone says the winters are real cold but hopefully it will hold off a little while longer. I'm sure you know this but my parents come in 2 weeks to visit and I am really excited to see them and show them around Copenhagen. I hope everything is well with you and I hope you are feeling okay. I know the weather has been real hot in Nashville but hopefully you escape some of the heat up in the countryside. I am really looking forward to coming back to Nashville in the spring and definitely will come visit again once Spring breaks, your new house is very peaceful and relaxing and I am glad you have found solitude there. I will try to keep you updated on my happenings.
Love Gavin

9 comments:

Freda said...

Wonderful - there is nothing to match such thoughtfulness.

dr.antony said...

Little acts of love..we can say.And what else do we need now? I can feel the emotions gone through your mind,reading it..Probably you would have shed some tears of happiness,I guess.And then sit back and think about the day your son was born, and the letters he had sent you!

Balisha said...

Thanks for sharing this lovely letter. He must be a special person. Remind me...what is he doing in Copenhagen? How nice that he remembers his Grandma. Have a nice day...Balisha

Judy said...

Aw-ww, obviously this boy was brought up right by his parents to send a note to his grandma. I have one card from one of my grandsons and it means the world to me.

Beverly said...

It does make your day when family thinks of you....
Hope you have a great day with this beautiful weather we have....

Anonymous said...

What a great letter! I know you were so glad to hear from him. Thanks for letting us be a part of it. I love the bee picture you took and Callie looks so comfortable. I still have those little cherry tomatoes and a few bigger green ones but that is all.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Freda, dr.antony - thank you for visiting and you are both right with your thoughts. Balisha he is taking one of his college semesters in that far away land. Judy and Beverly, you are so right it sure makes my day.
Judy from Kentucky :) This weather is wonderful. Those little tomatoes just keep bearing.

Tabor said...

You are so blessed that he shares this with you.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Tabor, he is a special grandson. In many ways reminds me of my son.
You have been on my mind continually. Missed your postings.
Take care and all good wishes are sent your way :)