Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Corn Field


When corn was planted in the front field - I wondered - would it block my view - would I like it?

It does not bother me. The corn is now almost 5 ft tall and because of the rain it is so lush and green. Will see when it is ready to be cut - how dry corn stalks look.

My little 12 x 12 kitchen garden is doing well. I had green onions and lettuce and now tomatoes, cucumbers, squash and a small row of green beans. This plot will be sowed in turnip greens later in the year. May make another plot like this one and experiment with a few other things. With my first Spring and working on flower beds this is just fine.

It is so hot and humid in this area and was out at 6:00 this morning to work on my woods path through the woods. After 45 minutes I was ready to come in and have my tea and breakfast.

A good way to start the day - just wish the mosquitos were not as bad as they are.

Loving birthday wishes sent to my first born - Laurie in Tampa, Florida. Seems like yesterday I carried you home from the hospital. My brown haired, brown eyed, 8 lb baby girl....

6 comments:

Sky said...

wow - is all that corn yours?! looks just wonderful, and what a fabulous bounty it is going to make. your small garden will be perfect. we have to start over with much of our little garden - so much rain has drowned the cukes and basil. even the peppers were adversely affected showing black spotted leaves now. tomatoes and squash are the only garden plants which seem unaffected. we had 10+ inches of rain march-may! this is unheard of...the rains normally occur winter through early spring, but in drizzles only and none so late into the season.

can't wait to see more of your veggie garden as the season unfolds.

Anonymous said...

I have cucumbers, tomatoes, and okra planted in my flower beds and with all the rain here they are blooming already. I would love to look out over a cornfield in the morning instead of seeing houses everywhere. I know it must be so peaceful in your woods. Happy Birthday to your daughter. Have a good week.

Balisha said...

I'm with Judy...I love the quiet fields of corn. It will take on a new look in the fall.... New colors and textures and sounds. I just read something on the computer that I think you might like to read...
http://www.briandavidcinadr.com/cornfield.html
Check this out and read about a cornfield. Balisha

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Sky, Judy and Balisha - thanks for checking in. Forgot to share I have some green peppers also :)

Sharon Lovejoy said...

You are SO RIGHT. I can't wait to be HOME. Is there a more wonderful word?

So here is your "assignment." I've always been told that on a hot, hot night the corn makes cracking noises as it grows. Will you go outdoors and listen with your mind and heart to see if that is true? I am not close to growing cornfields or I would test it out myself.

Joys to you,

Sharon Lovejoy Writes from Sunflower House and a Little Green Island

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Sharon, bless your heart for taking time from your busy schedule to write me. I will listen to the corn field tonight and report in :)