Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Busy Wednesday



Her helpers arrived with boards and wire. After looking at wire dog pens that looked like prison enclosures - she decided on using fencing boards with wire inside. From a distance it looks like a section of fence. The next time Callie is left alone for a short time, will see how she tolerates her new part time home.

Through the years, her helpers have always spotted snakes. Through the years on this land all that crossed her path were chicken snakes and small green snakes. She was warned that a copperhead was spotted. She wonders.......

A new day lily bloomed, and a welcome letter from across the ocean.

Just received a phone call that my granddaughter, Sarah - will graduate from Northwestern in Illinois this Saturday with the honor Summa Cum Laude. Congratulations from grandma.

9 comments:

Tabor said...

To ease your mind Copperheads are usually fearful and do not strike right away. Keep your eyes open and if you have a black rat snake around, be glad, because I have been told they eat copperheads. Is your fence going to be higher? That almost looks like a dog could jump out of that if he wanted.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Tabor, thanks for the snake info.
I would run the other way. Since Callie is so small - I thought this would be high enough. Hope so.

Beverly said...

My take is Callie will be out of there in a flash! Hope I am wrong!

Sky said...

if it were wider, and she could not use her doghouse as a jumpstart point it might be safer...hope we are all wrong! :(

yikesssssss @copperhead!! oh, dear. i am very snake phobic.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Tabor, Beverly and Sky - will do a test run on the pen this morning.
I do not think she can jump that far. If it is not high eough then will have another board and wire added. That just defeats my purpose of it not looking like a comercial pen. Also this is better then her being in a small crate. Will let you know what happens.....:)

BlondeMomBlog (Jamie) said...

Hopefully Miss Callie will not prove to be an escape artist! I think it will be OK, though.

That is a gorgeous flower photo! I'll work on getting some of your photos made into nice note cards. :)

Very proud of Sarah!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

A report to all - just returned from 2 hours of errands. Miss Callie was laying in front of her dog house "in the pen".
Hopefully this continues. It will only be used to keep her from following me down the road. I think there is just enough distance from dog house to fence that she cannot jump over the fence. She only weighs about 28 lbs.

MsGraysea said...

Beautiful flower....those snakes are more afraid of you, I hope.
My thought on the dogpen was that you could slant in another section from the top of the fence to deter exit. Can Callie climb onto the doghouse roof?
Glad the first test was successful.

MsGraysea said...

Oh my, this post made me so sad, too. I always feel the same way when I see scarred, trees. Outside my office there is a HUGE very old tree, with a twisted trunk and I always call it the dancing tree - maybe a ballerina, and when a huge delivery truck took a large limb down last year, the cracking sound brought tears to my eyes. Fortunately, now there is no sign of what happened, as the canopy has extended down again, but I think of it all the time as I walk in to work.
Hopefully, you will be able to channel that "need to clear" into another direction. It is hard to resist.