Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Special Guest, Buttercups and Sunflowers


Judy, one of the twins came to visit. Why have I always referred to her and sister as "one of the twins"?

It was a special visit and time of sharing. Memories of another time and place ... flood my mind... She brought me a bouquet of about 5 dozen buttercups. They are in the middle of my old table. They smell wonderful. I do not remember this flower having such a wonderful scent. Maybe it is because there are so many of them.

She also brought me a box with dozens of the bulbs, a mesh hanging (looks like a sock) Finch
seed holder. I have never seen one before. Also brought some seeds for large Sunflowers.

I love Sunflowers and the birds do also.

Her mother was one of my mother's younger sisters. These girls take after their mother with such a kind and gentle manner. A hug and "I love you" - touched my heart.

My Aunt Betty - passed away a number of years ago. She suffered from Alzheimer's and Judy was one of her main caregivers.

A nature path was made from my garden through the woods on this beautiful day. I will enjoy putting a special feeder or two along the path. This was not something I planned - it just kind of happened. I can hear my son's voice echoing in my ear "mama please do not clear the woods".

My kitchen garden area is so small that it was just prepared without tiller. Planted some green onions.

Enough for now - another beautiful day to enjoy.

15 comments:

Sky said...

beautiful yellow! like the sun it cheers us.

Lonely Rivers said...

The flowers are perfect! I had to be downtown yesterday and had a "moment" when I stood at the top of the Nordstrom escalator looking down at the displays on the floor below. Yellow everywhere! It lifted my spirits. When I got home there was a florest bouquet - also yellow! And this morning I opened my friend's blog and One Woman was lighting my morning and lifting my spirits with yet another yellow boquet. Makes me want to tie some yellow ribbons today!

Darlene said...

The buttercups are beautiful. I didn't know they had a scent. I guess I have never had them in my house. Must correct that.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Sky, LM and Darlene, thank you for commenting. Yellow - I think is reminding us of the sunshine and spring is arriving...have a great day. I believe - you 3 - are all over the map!!

Beverly said...

I love that you called them buttercups. My Amy was surprised when I called them that...she says daffodils... She also said it must be an older term...ha ha ha!!!!

Deborah Carr said...

Such glorious blooms! Your 'twin' is so thoughtful...she must know you well, to bring you gifts that would mean so much.

Planting already...I still have snowbanks, although today it was balmy t-shirt weather...my snow just seems to be soooo slowwww.

lilalia said...

Special guest, special gifts. What a delight that must have been.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Beverly, think the "buttercups" may be an old Southern name!!
Deborah and Lilalia, thank you for visiting me on a morning where I think it may rain.
All have a great day.

Tabor said...

Actually buttercups, as I know them, are a different flower. Some daffodils smell and others not so much, but I am guessing that they have been hybridized more for scent these days. My sunglowers never made it past the hungry rabbits...I wish you good luck. Try a fence!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Tabor, these flowers came from a family farm. They surround the old farmhouse. They sure are welcome sight on this rainy day.

Anonymous said...

Your buttercups are beautiful and I know you enjoyed your visit. I love the redbud header, too. My girls are twins and they are always referred to that way. They don't seem to mind. You will have the whole woods dug up soon. lol.

Life Potentials Network said...

Wow those yellow flowers certainly know how to lift the human spirit! GORGEOUS! Thank you for sharing them with us! xo

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Judy and Life Potential, thank you for visiting. A cool day in the woods!!!

tfhsunflowergirl said...

Love your writing!!! Read the comments to moma (Judy) this morning and she was amazed that people from all over the world were talking about her. :-) She has talked so much about her visit to your house.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Tammy, thank you for visiting me.
Please come often. Your mom is so special. My first cousin and now just think - her daughter contacted me.
Have a wonderful day!!!!!!!