Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Coming Home Again - Woods House Progress #3

The emotions I am feeling are so strong that it is going to be difficult to put into words all that happened this morning.
I have not been to the country in 4 weeks. My builder called to see if I was up to driving to the building site this morning. The floor was done and if it were not so cold - like 30 degrees and wind blowing the framing was to begin today.
I took off early this morning with excitement. The builder met me at the end of the road to continue on in his vehicle as there were several wet and very muddy areas in the new gravel drive. Every home I have built or been involved in the remodeling process I have been on the site daily. Witnessed every nail, every board placed and on and on. I would pack my lunch and I guess the workers grew weary of me being on the site. First I enjoyed the activity and second I wanted to make sure everything was perfect. Because of this unexpected surgery 3 weeks ago I have not been able to be near this project for 4 weeks.
Everything was perfect. I can visualize the finished project of this smaller home sitting at edge of the woods with the gardens growing in all their glory. I can see myself sitting on the deck with the sun streaming through the trees and seeing all the different birds that visit my feeders.
Can sense the peace and quiet as I sit on the screen porch. I can hear the echo of the night sounds.
I drove back to my city home with such a feeling of total thankfulness. Several things I am still not sure on but as the framing begins those answers will come.
When I left the city this morning driving through the heavy traffic and in about 35 minutes arrived in my small town - a deep feeling of peace came over me.
Thoughts have surfaced - at my stage of life can you go home again - can you return to the place where you healed and were the happiest of ever in your lifetime? So much has changed. Most of the older people that reached out and included me in their lives have passed away. A lot of new homes and younger families will be neighbors at this time. I will be this One Woman with no family near by relocating to her much loved land. A place to garden, take picture, write and just "be".
So time will answer many of these questions and it seems I am being drawn to this area like a stream flowing rapidly. For how long - only God knows.
The post man stopped his car and welcomed me. A dear neighbor from around the corner stopped his car and got out and hugged me in the middle of the road. Smiled and commented "we will have to stop meeting in the middle of the road like this". He welcomed me.
Builder shared that yesterday he spotted 18 deer in the front field. The lady turkeys greeted me as I left for the city.
So at this moment "heart please be still".

An entry from One Woman this cold and sunny afternoon

15 comments:

Liza on Maui said...

oh i am so happy and excited for you!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

My dear Liza, thank you. Your new puppy looks adorable.

Judy said...

Oh, Ernestine, I can just imagine how you are feeling right now! I think you know you are doing the right thing for you or you would not be experiencing these feelings. I am so very happy for you and proud of you, too, for following your dreams.

Tabor said...

Just go slowly and enjoy the process and if your health says to take a day off, do so. You have such wonderful vision that I imagine your new retreat is going to be lovely. I can see you this fall sweeping leaves from the deck already.

Zabetha said...

Wonderful that your home is progressing so well. So nice to envisage yourself in the finished product, what a fabulous vision!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Judy, Tabor and Anne. Thank you for the kind comments. Tabor I do not plan on doing much raking. I probably will have to sweep or blow the leaves off of deck. Probalby will be the old woman of the woods. Walking around with her staff, camera and several dogs following me. LOL

Irena said...

Ernestine, I just want to say, when I read all it I seem feel all your emotions, all your feeling of the world around you, the warm that you feel, the gladness... You are wonderful!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Irena, thank you so much for your comment. We are thousands of miles apart and yet I feel your sensitivity to me. It is touching.
Your friend from the USA

Meredith said...

What an adventure! I feel privileged to be sharing in it through your blog.

Coming Home Again: The Woods House.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Meredith thank you. Notice I changed my title - you gave me an idea.

kenju said...

You are a very lucky woman. I'm glad you got to go there after so long a time.

Marcie said...

Ernestine,

I am so glad to check in this morning and read this update on your country haven. It is a joy to read your thoughts during this time.

hugs,
Aisling

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Kenju and Aisling thank you for your comments that I found this early morning. Your friendship is so welcome by me.

MsGraysea said...

That is so beautiful put and it confirms that you are on the right path. How nice that you have friends out that way, too.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Marcia, take care of yourself.
Healing wishes sent to you and your special one.