Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Progess #5 - Woods Retreat

I am at a loss for anything interesting to write about this afternoon. Yesterday morning a trip to the country. My cottage is coming along wonderfully. A few changes were made. I had a vision of sitting at my kitchen table looking out the window. That will not be. Trying to plan this smaller kitchen it was impossible to have counter space and room for appliances with my table in front of the window. Sooooo, my sink is in front of the window and I can look out into the woods as I do my dishes. This solves my dilemma. Gives me plenty of counter and appliance space and also space for my huge old chop block that has been moved many times. My table will be just like it is in this home, in the middle of the floor.
On a sad note - the young man who has helped for years had surgery yesterday morning.
So it will be a few weeks before he can tackle the brush and limb problem surrounding my new home. He desperately needs the work - so the brush and I will be waiting for him. His father said he would help me. He arrived driving down the muddy drive and parked his truck. I wish I could have captured the look on his face as he scratched his head and viewed the clearing that is in progress. He made the comment "there must be an easier way to do this".
I said "no", just like several other homes built in a setting like this, it is all hand work.
So, I do not believe he will show up again. I smiled at him and replied "can't you visualize this finished", he did not answer.
A few years ago this was something I tackled myself. Now with surgery behind me 4 weeks and a little older - I cannot do it solo. I will help but need help.
So my special young friend you are to heal quickly and we will get this mess cleaned up.
I plan very efficiently and how did I forget about the thawing of the ground and the Spring rain.
It will be a memory when summer arrives and I can still visualize what the almost finished product will look like.
So really have not felt like posting pictures of half a framed cottage with bare trees and brush surrounding it. I try to focus on - what it will look like when it is finished.
Just look at my header and visualize my cottage sitting in the middle of those wonderful Fall trees.
In the morning I have an early dental appointment for filling. Not my favorite place but need to have it taken care of. Then on the country and maybe my muddy 1000 foot drive will be a little better to drive on. Gravel oh gravel what happened to you. Maybe you will surface again.
What does make me smile are the comments from the workers sharing of all the deer, wild turkey and other critters they see as they pull up to their project each morning.

Some sharing this early afternoon from One Woman

6 comments:

Tabor said...

Thus age is very important in undertaking large projects. Compromise is essential and not looking back once you have made the compromise. Our lot was only 60 feet wide on the top of the peninsula...lots of compromise there when your house has to be about 45 feet wide. Thus we have three floors! But climbing stairs does keep me in shape.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Tabor you are right all the way.
At least most of my time will be spent on one floor with the loft area for guest or when I occasionally go up there. I will stay in shape by picking up branches LOL.

Beverly said...

I want your energy. You need to take pictures to remember this journey...

Will you still do your garden in the city?

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Beverly I will only throw some seeds out that I saved here in the city garden. So the yard will look full. Will have to see how quick the country cottage is done.
Would love to put out veggies.
Energy still not normal. Just trying to stay focused and move forward.

Deborah Carr said...

As I've been reading through your posts, Earnestine, I cannot help but think what a wonderful gift you are creating for your children. I would love to know the ideas and thoughts that cross my mother's mind...the elements that drive her decisions...the minutiae of her day and how she feels about them.

What a treasure...I hope you are saving all these thoughts and posts somewhere else...somewhere safe.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Deborah what nice comments. I wonder at times if anyone will even look at them. But then as time goes on maybe a grandchild will know their grandma better. Think my children already know me.
I am copying my post and going to bind them like a book.