Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Friday, February 20, 2009

Progress Report #4

A trip this early cold morning to the country. Something special that I had for 45 years I had given to a friend was being returned to me. This special friend is deceased and I mentioned it to his daughter who graciously returned it to me. Something you would only want to use if some wild varmint was near or a pack of coyotes. Anyway it is wrapped in a blanket in the trunk of my car. Not going to say what it is but sure did not need it in the city. May not need it in the country.
The framing has begun on my cottage. What a challenge with every room smaller then what I have now and this home was downscaling. So some special items may need a new home.
Only problem was the MUD. The ground is thawing and with many vehicles pulling in my new gravel drive - some of the gravel seemed to have disappeared. For some reason I did not think of the Spring thawing and MUD. The contractor has been picking me up on the main road but this morning I decided to just pull on in. So my car was muddy and I stopped at car wash on my way back to the city.

A young man who went to school with my youngest daughter is helping me pile brush and clean up some of the woods close to the new home. I am thankful for Chris. He does yard work and at the present time he is pleased for me to be using him. A lot he is doing is what I have done for years but at the moment not up to it.

The floor plan of this home I sketched like my other homes.
Small foyer, smaller great room with kitchen at the end - this is on one side. The other side is my bedroom, bath and utility room on the back. There will be a stairway going to a loft area that is all open and will have a large area for bedroom, bath and nice size sitting room area for my little granddaughters to play. This loft overlooks downstairs great room with large windows looking out in back in the woods. I will have a screen porch on one side of home and a deck on the back. Also at the last moment added an attached garage. So a smaller home but sufficient for me and anyone that might visit.
This gives my online friends an idea of what I am planning.
What I have now is similar but larger.
Tonight I have my little girls while mom and dad enjoy and evening out. In the morning their favorite breakfast of French toast.
So for now Grandma is going to rest and eat something before they arrive.


An entry from One Woman this late afternoon.

10 comments:

Mim said...

Glad you are feeling better and that the girls can spend the night.
Also good to hear about your new home and the construction as it's happening.

Darlene said...

It sounds like things are looking up for you. Your health is improving and your cottage is becoming a new home.

I need to downsize too, but won't do it until I am forced to. Now that I have the help of a cleaning woman I enjoy the space.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Mim, thank you for checking in.
Darlene, I want to spend more time outside and less work inside.

Balisha said...

Hi,
It sounds like you are off on your new venture. Sounds exciting.I especially love the new header picture.

Beverly said...

Glad you are getting stronger, but the nurse in me thinks you need to be careful picking up stuff in the woods, some of the limbs can be heavy.
I remember when you were missing the country and trying to convince yourself of why you moved to the city. This idea had progressed and soon you will be sitting in your new cottage...

Tabor said...

I just got through watching a 104-year-old man split wood and a 94-year-old man go for a nice vigorous horse ride in a television report on those blue areas of the world where people live to an active ripe old age. They do have a good social life...so those of us in the country must work on that. I would never know how to handle the 'gift' in your blanket!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Balisha, that was a fall picture of my building spot. Beverly, you are right and at the moment just pointing to big limbs. Tabor, when my older children were small we had a farm and my husband hunted a lot. I have limited knowledge of how to use this "gift"
but if a wild animal approaches I could possibly scare it away!!!

Balisha said...

Hi,
What a perfect place to build...you will see this wonderful scene everyday.No wonder you love it so.

MsGraysea said...

I can just see you sitting on your new sunporch.....What a lovely thing to create for yourself.
So happy you are feeling better. It takes a while.

Marcie said...

Ernestine,

Your place sounds just right. I would like an enclosed porch and attached garage one of these days too. I could picture it all through your descriptions, but am also looking forward to photos when the work progresses. What an exciting time!