Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Saturday, August 17, 2013

Something Green In My Diet

Love turnip greens
small garden is about through
and guess all the rain contributed to this.
It may continue to supply a few tomato's,
a green pepper or two and some cucumbers.
My squash plants look like they are finished.

Wish I had frozen more zucchini for the
special bread I bake.   Believe I have 6 cartons
and should have prepared more.

It seems summer has gone by so quickly and soon ending.
Having thoughts of Fall and Winter.

In my freezer I noticed
a few turnip green seeds
plus turnip seeds and I
made a mental note to purchase more on next trip to town.

It is so easy to sprinkle a few seeds in the soil and in a few weeks there will be small
greens and so tasty.   I did this late yesterday.   A soft shower during the night and
they are on their way.   In about 3 weeks will sprinkle more seeds and I should have this
tasty green until the end of the year or longer.

I can remember at other homes over the years
sprinkling a few seeds this time of year, just a small patch
 and how quickly they came up and were enjoyed.

Guess I would plant them in pots
if I did not have any other way grow them.

Never have found any at the market I liked
as the leaves would be so big and tough.

9 comments:

the wild magnolia said...

nothing in the world like home grown turnips! Happy Saturday!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Sandy, I only like those I grow.
See how fussy I am :)
Happy Saturday to you special girl :)

Tabor said...

You can freeze zucchini?

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Tabor, I freeze only for my zucchini bread - like fresh better but bread still taste wonderful.
I chop real small and put in container. When it thaws a lot of liquid that I drain. I have heard some share they use this also
as an addition to soup...

Sky said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sky said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sky said...

OK - i can't seem to proof the typos - so here is one more try! if typos remain, forgive, please!

do you blanch the squash? we never freeze any fresh veggies that have not been blanched. here's a good link for anyone interested: how to freeze zuchini .

we always had bag after bag of yellow crookneck in the freezer in GA, too, which is my favorite squash. i have recently begun to love the patty pans which seem a bit sweeter than the crooknecks. i may freeze some for winter here. you could always pick up some zuchini at the farmer's mkt or a fresh air stand to add to your own, ernestine. i have always been lucky to find very tasty greens at the mkt, too (without those huge tougher leaves you mention). i love turnip greens, but i wash them over and over to be sure there is no sandy debris left, and this chore interferes with my interest in having them very often.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Sky, I chop small, do not blanch and freeze.
Only use this for my bread and seems to work for me...

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

sky, just read the site you mentioned. If I have more I will try blanching and see if it makes a differance.