Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Thursday, August 9, 2012

Plans Changed

Early morning dentist stop and
anxiety over a tooth was relieved.
Plans to continue to big city
to enjoy a birthday lunch with my youngest.
The rain came in a flood
it never stopped and was difficult to see the road
so I headed back to the country.
First a stop to treat myself to a carmel latte.
A neighbor who shares the N.Y. Times with me
was in the shoppe and was nice to sit and talk for
almost an hour - something I rarely do.
On down the country road to the cottage and
noticed the lush tobacco fields
Too late for a good corn crop because of heat and lack of rain but looks as if the
farmer's will have an excellent tobacco crop and soybean crop.

Down the drive and notice a few plants that have emerged with a few rains.

The summer poinsettia, was not planted but evidently was among some plants
I moved.  Shared with me years ago by a elderly neighbor.
The Crepe Myrtles are blooming in every yard and are spectacular in every color.
Seeds from an unusual Sun Flower were shared with me and most washed away.
There are four plants that survived and this is the first to bloom.
                                                          The few
 Hyacinth Bean seeds that grew are thriving.   Picking seed pods as soon as I can because the birds are eating them.   This plant always showy for late summer and early Fall.   
                                                                  
A number of plants blooming that have survived the heat and rain.
Fortunate to have some color in my garden.    It looks like  Fall Purple Aster will be beautiful sometime in the next month.....

Sharing a part of my day in the country

9 comments:

Lynn said...

Of all the nice things that happened today an afternoon post to your journal was the most pleasing. My favorite picture is of the sunflower. Happy Thursday!!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Lynn, thank you :)

lil red hen said...

Yes, I enjoyed the visit with you; I've missed you! Seeing your pretty flowers was a treat.

Tabor said...

So sorry you missed the birthday lunch. But glad that you got rain. We are getting a little here along with lots of thunder and lightning. I knew that hyacinth beans are poisonous, so was surprised that the birds ate them. I will have to see if any eat my seeds this year.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Tabor, something eating them.
Wonder what? As always thank you for checking in. Charlotte, thanks for visiting..
Cooler weather today and seems I can sense Fall in the air or I am just dreaming...

Sharon said...

There is wisdom in knowing when to change plans, even if it is something we really want to do. You will have the special lunch another day, when it is safe to travel. This time you enjoyed a visit with a friend. I am learning to more quickly say "yes" to such changes because it is always the right thing ~

The sunflower is my favorite, too.

Sky said...

looks like the weather straightened out rather quickly...the photos are very nice with no hint of a big storm. glad your day had a pleasant ending and hope jamie had a fabulous and fun-filled birthday celebration.

the wild magnolia said...

Your post is filled with good things! Thank you for each and every one.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Sharon, Sky and Sandy,
thank you for visiting...