Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Finally

For the first time in about 6 weeks I was able to start the lawn tractor and cut grass
surrounding this cottage.
Past weeks of being too hot, ground too wet, and  not feeling my normal energy filled self left the tractor sitting idle.
Also, I found I could not engage the blade, even using both hands.  I must share that this
truly upset me with thoughts were my tractor days over.
 
The tires need air and when monthly help arrives that will be taken care of.
I am trying to do less and my plan is to only cut down the long gravel drive and
on the main road about once a month.   If I cut around cottage every two weeks and then
maintenance man does it once a month with the other cutting it is helpful with my budget.

Driving the tractor is a special love and enjoyment.  Family and  others questioned
this purchase when relocating back to my home place.
But this is something I have done for 50 years,
relaxing,  just viewing nature and this time I  did not venture into the woods.  With
the strong wind in the past weeks there may be limbs on some of the paths that would
stop me from going forward.

Long sleeve shirt and slacks on and still the mosquito's were buzzing around my head.
With ground still damp it was an ideal time to move some plants - which I did.

Through the years there was always the thought that maybe a child or grandchild would love
my lifestyle so much that they could not wait to arrive and help me.   It has become very evident
that this is my love and decision for my life.   So I try not to think of the future, life is
always changing and my dream probably will not come true for family to continue to
care for all that is continuing to be planted.  But then a believer in miracles, so will see
how this One Woman's life plays out.

The visits and gardening with my grandmother was for one little girl a joy since she
lived in the big city with not a blade of grass in sight. She would run and hide and never
wanted to leave when her parents came for her.    That was another time and place and that
scene is not being replayed.  For my grandchildren it is a time of go, go, go, busyness is continual,  sports, travel
and all the new inventions that I know nothing about. 

Inside and putting a beautiful head of cauliflower on to simmer.  Adding some carrots, garlic and basil from my herb pots.
When it is almost done, cheese will be sprinkled on top along with chopped crisp bacon.   Not a usual dinner but plenty for one and the scent of garlic and basil is filling this room as I type
and for some reason it sounds tasty.
I do miss good rolls and cheese.   There are none at the local markets along with other special items I enjoy and when I go to the big city
soon a visit to my favorite bakery, Farmers Market, specialty stores that have items
I find enjoyable they will be purchased and brought back to the country.

There was a time in the past that sour dough bread was made and  shared some as
the  recipe made 3 loaves.   At this time of life I find I eat very little bread but do enjoy
making 1/2 recipe of my corn bread.    After being outside in the heat do not feel like
turning on the oven or even cooking the silver dollar size in my old iron skillet and
cooking on top of stove.

I have rambled enough this early morning.
All
have a wonderful day.....



14 comments:

Lynn said...

Seems I picked the wrong decade to decide I wanted to be a gardener when I grew up. I am loving the pretty pictures ~ daydreaming. I am loving the learning ~ trial and error. I am loving your plan ~ once a month help is just right. Happy Thursday.

Tabor said...

You seem to be accepting compromise and preparing for what changes lie ahead that are unplanned. That is a life well-lived and well-adjusted. Hoping the changes are slow and that some are a wonderful surprise.

Balisha said...

Love to read your ramblings...they are much the same as mine. I stopped to read a portion to Joe about your grandchildren. We always reminice about our grandparents and the joy we both had while visiting and helping them in gardening, polishing silver, cleaning the crystal chandelier...and on and on. Life is so different now...and we must be content. Have a happy day.
Balisha

Wisewebwoman said...

The near 18 yo granddaughter came this year by her choice and painted the deck furniture and took long solitary walks on the shore with the dog. She does love this place but life will take over but who knows long term.
I love the fact you drive the tractor.
XO
WWW

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Lynn, enjoy this new hobby.
Tabor, always appreciate your wise words :)
Balisha, we are the same.
Wisewoman, great that this one helped. My children and grandchildren visit - but for food and relaxing...

Hill Top Post said...

It is your ramblings, such as today's, that I love reading. I do not read for tales of faraway travels and daring adventures...just good ole' country living suits me fine!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Mary, thanks for visiting. Bran still sitting on counter for me to make bran muffins :)

Hill Top Post said...

The muffins will be so good for the cooler mornings ahead. The taste is just right for us; not too sweet. Have a wonderful weekend!

Sky said...

*smiling* Since you have indicated they read your online journal, I think the "kids" have gotten the message! ;) I bet your move from the city to the country affected how much time you all get to spend together - travel can present issues when families are so busy.

That cauliflower dish sounds delicious! Mother used to make "fried cornbread" in her cast iron skillet - very thin, small, round pieces of pancake-like cornbread that was a little crunchy on the outside and softer on the inside. Is that what you mean by your silver dollar bread? I have no idea how to do it.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Sky, you are right on target. Only in the big city did not see anyone any more often as everyone is busy. But think I was more convenient for family in that locations. Like your mother made
I make. Use same cornmeal mixture but instead of skillet in oven you
just drop teaspoon or tablespoon full in hot grease on top of stove.
Mary, Thank you...

Sky said...

thanks for the help with the cornbread, ernestine! i am going to try to make it. wish me luck!

Anonymous said...

Ernestine, I so relate to many of your comments about your tractor, your fears and frustrations and the joy you feel in using the tractor. I purchased a small, used riding mower for my new land, something I hoped would get me through this summer. Alas, it came to a halt a few weeks ago. I have prayed to the mechanic Gods and tried to get it going--to no avail. I am crushed! And the grass/weeds are now way ahead of me. I will have to get someone out to do repairs and/or buck up and buy a new one in the next several days. I love to be on my mower! I am thinking of you!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

MadWoman - we are much alike...