Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Thursday, September 29, 2011

You Did Well

Little kitchen garden
you were not a disappointment.
Plenty for One Woman and a little
too share.
Now if it had not rained so much
there would have been more
squash and cucumbers.
At present turnip greens are turning
yellow because of the rain.
A few tomatoes and green peppers
on the vine
Clean up time
and will plant a small row of
Egyptian onions.

The weather is magnificent
cool in the morning and night
Pleasant warm days

"Would you know a simile for life and death?
Compare them then to water and ice.
Water binds together to become ice.
Ice melts and turns back into water.
What has died must live again.
What has been born shall return to death.
Water and ice do no harm to each other.
Life and death are both of them good"

Cold Mountain 100 Poems by Han-shan

9 comments:

Tabor said...

I still have not made it out into our garden...but the large poplar destroyed the fence and so many plants I am focused elsewhere these days. Death, such a small word with such huge visions.

Balisha said...

Joe just picked the last of the tomatoes.I have a 5 gal. bucket full. I'm in the mood for fried green tomatoes.Our garden didn't do as well this year either. Not very good weather for vegetables.Enjoy these warm days...Balisha

Judy said...

Such a nice yield!

the wild magnolia said...

Your harvest so filled with colors and looking fresh. I feel nourished from just seeing this bounty of earth and your diligence.

Much of the oriental poetry and haiku I have read are spare of words and abundant with meaning. I appreciate their ease of life.

Wishing One Woman a fine day doing whatever she chooses.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Tabor, whenever you travel it takes a while to get back into a home routine.
Balisha, I still have one vind loaded with green tomatoes. Have never cookd fried green tomatoes :)
Think I will chop up what I have and make a couple of jars of salsa.
Judy, thank you - love that picture of you with the baby.
Sandra, you always beautiful and meaninful words. Everything done here is on a small scale
But I love planting and seeing what will grow...

Beverly said...

Those 'maters sure look good! You know, one day I will have to visit you....

Barbara Blundell said...

"Wish I was there " Yes,me too. Would have loved it

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Beverly and Barbara, thanks for visiting. Feels like Fall today.
Cool....but sunny

Sky said...

tell me in email, pleasae, about egyption onions. someone mentioned them out here, but i was afraid they would spread so i didn't get them. an acquaintance was giving them away - small plants which had grown off the original plants - assuming they made their own bulbs like iris tubers do. are they sweet? do you use them like spring onions? do they spread terribly?