Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Friday, July 18, 2008

Friday Thoughts

But where is what I started for so long ago? And why is it still unfound?

Walt Whitman


From Cate at Beyond The Fields We know http://kerrdelune.blogspot.com/

It is strange what we remember, and what we choose not to remember, or rather what we choose to forget with specific intentions.

There are memories deep within each of us which awaken longings so intense that they are painful, and we each have our own stories, our own storehouses and hoards of special memories and dreams. Like the mythical dragons of old, we heap up treasures in the dusty recesses of our craniums, and guard them fiercely.

An ordinary busy morning but when reading this, the tears would not stop.

5 comments:

Judy said...

Hello again. I think we all have a storehouse of memories. Special ones, painful ones, funny ones, etc. and we take them out and dust them off and go over them in our minds. It depends on what kind of mood I am in as to what memory I will bring out of storage.
I came back and read all about your granddaughters. They are beautiful. Also, about your garden and moving and your twin friends. I think you are a wonderful and talented writer and certainly have a way with words. I enjoyed it very much.

Darlene said...

Ernestine, my kids tell me that I have selective memory. I don't know if it is a protective device that keeps the painful memories at bay or if I just have a faulty memory bank.

I have a friend that I have known for 64 years. We went through school together and she could tell you the name of every teacher and student and, probably, what their favorite foods were. I can barely remember the school.

Does our brain just work differently or is she more perceptive than me? I will never know.

Kay Dennison said...

What a lovely post, Ernestine!!! And so very true. Thank you!!!!

Tabor said...

I know that I have forgotten important things...not intentionally. I am not as mindful as some people I know. But you are correct in that sometimes a memory, triggered by a scene or smell or sound, will flood the brain with so much emotion it is hard to breath. (And, yes, I also am sometimes up at 5:00.)

Lydia said...

I was just at Time Goes By, where Ronni said that she is reading each blog on her blogroll, in order. I decided to select just one from the list tonight, and it was yours because your blog title resonates with me.

Your post was sweet and lovely, and sent me to the blog you linked (very sad about Cassie dog--losing a beloved pet is life-changing).