Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Monday, June 16, 2008

Saturday Night At Grandma's


Mom and dad were invited to an opening of a new restaurant so Caity and Amelia stayed with me. Their favorite was served - spaghetti. Then watermelon and chocolate ice cream to top it off.Plus a glass of milk and a cookie. Somehow when I read this combination I wrinkle my nose. But then at 3 and just turned 6, this was a great meal.

Sometime between our meal and winding down time they have each approached me and said "I love you grandma"When this is said so sincerely I can hardly keep back the tears.

At 8 we all put on our pjs and climbed into grandma's high 4 poster bed.We sang and did silly games. The ones that always make them laugh out loud. Those that soon I know they will outgrow: the bones song, spider song, games with fingers and toes. This will just be memory that makes me smile.

Caity entertains us with a few songs she is making up. Then we can hardly keep our eyes open and before you know it I hear mama and daddy coming in the door to pick up their girls.

So the house quiet once again. This home can be so alive when they visit and when they leave it is utter quiet. Just me and the clocks ticking.

Sunday morning at 7 I headed north one hour from here to my old hometown. I visited some special friends who the day before had their 60th high school reunion. 25 attended. They just recently moved into this home in the country. The floor plan was one I designed. I will help them with gardens and landscaping plans this fall. They shared some of the left over banquet food with me.Was so good to be in the company of people you enjoy and are so pleased to see you.

Stopped by the home I sold last year and took some clippings of running roses. Will try to root them. In the past I have been successful. Would like to give them to several friends and have one for my iron fence.

So now home again on a hot day in the South. My son has a boyhood friend visiting from New York. They may stop in for a visit later today. I think Jimmy likes to show off his mom's garden.

Just another day in my journey through life.

2 comments:

Beverly said...

I know what you mean about the "quiet" time after children or grandchildren leave. I would visit with the boys for the weekend. Every time I called to let her know we had made it home safely. She would say, "It is so quiet here after ya'll leave, I feel lost for about 2-3 hours."
I wish I could strike out and drive, I fall asleep.

Tabor said...

Your days sound so full and busy with good stuff. Congratulations!