Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Fluffy Birds, Vegetable Soup, Contentment and I Love My Hot Water Bottle

Wind chill below zero
early morning
and looking out the window
the birds look like they have down coats on
to keep warm
In the past
vegetable soup was made with the left overs of roast and vegetables.
No roast
but a lot of not much in refrigerator.
With an addition of onions, potatoes and celery, carrots, tomato, cabbage, peas, corn,
cauliflower, green and red peppers and from freezer an addition of beef broth and smoked turkey kielbasa
soup was soon simmering with an addition of garlic and olive oil.
Very tasty and after lunch took it out of the big pot and put into a smaller one.
There will be no decision of what to eat tonight, tomorrow and maybe another day.
Maybe some cornbread will be made.
and
I might add
on these frigid nights
I love my blue hot water
bottle made in England.

Contentment
is the word
that describes this one as she sits in the sun
in front of the big window this afternoon.

Love how the sun streams in my windows
this time of year...

10 comments:

Pienosole said...

This posting warmed my heart. Very happy for you :-).

PatK said...

Yes!! British hot water bottles are the best. American ones leak because they are only meant to be laid on a sore muscle not put in a bed.I have been warming my always-cold feet in bed with a hot water bottle for nearly 70 years and buy a new one to have as a spare at "Boots the Chemist" when I am in England visiting my family.
Oh and your soup sounds so warming!

lil red hen said...

Perfect food for a cold day and perfect warmer for a cold night!

Wisewebwoman said...

I love your food postings. I feel I can pull up a chair. And corning ware, oh yes. That and my castiron collection and I am a happy camper:)

XO
WWW

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

PatK, oh yes it is the best and going to see if I can pull up "Boots the Chemist". Visit again soon...
Pienosole, Charlotte, :)
WWW, yes the Corning wear in a number sizes now over 50 years old and goes on and on :)
I guess like me...

Balisha said...

I loved your description on the winter birds. They do look like they are wearing down coats all puffed up and cute.
I don't always put meat in my soup, but I have tried the sausage like you. It makes a good flavor in the soup.
I'm making tortilla soup for this weekend. I have some chicken breasts in the freezer for that.
Have a nice day today...Balisha

Tessa~ Here there be musing said...

A creative soup! Delightful. And soup is such a continuing meal. :-)

Oh the wee little birds, and how they fluff up, to keep warm. So sweet...

Oh yes, when the sun shines in, it is especially delightful, on cold, cold, cold winter days. -happy sigh-

Tessa~
(Upper NYS)

Laura said...

sounds like my "refrigerator soup" I made for family dinner last night. I'm always grateful to have the energy to cook a meal, even a simple one. Makes me feel like a mother, a wife, a human… I can't cook every day, my husband and daughter do a lot… so truly it is a treat to prepare and taste food I've made.

blessings to you on yet another cold day.

thewiildmagnola said...

Window warm sun, outside decor of wild birds, homemade vegetable soup, a side of cornbread. A fine day!

Kay said...

Mmmmmmm.... This looks wonderful. I made a huge pot of corn chowder that lasted four days.