Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Friday, May 18, 2012

Going, Going and Gone

A visit to one of my past homes in the nearby city.
When I left the old farmhouse this was one of the homes I built.
The couple next door I had known for years.
The wife passed away while I lived in the home next to them.

Mr. Leo became very special to me.   He was alone, his children
not nearby and I was in the same situation.
We would talk over the border of my flower garden and soon
we would visit back and forth.
I would sit and listen to him share.
I appreciated the fact that he trusted me and shared much of his past and some
hopes for the future.
When you live in  a town where many of the people
have known each other for years most of the time you
 do not share a lot openly.  
I wonder - why is it that small towns are filled with so much gossip.

I moved from this town, built a home closer to my children and sometimes felt like I had abandoned him.   His health continued to deteriorate and he passed away months ago.

So yesterday was the beginning of the sale of many items in that magnificent
old historical home.   Tomorrow will be an auction of a lifetime collection of
 some of the finest antiques, crystal and silver items.

At the sale today, I purchased a number of small items.   Like an aluminum ladder
as I had given mine away through one of my moves.  An old wheelbarrow (I like them for
my country gardens), an old small kitchen table for my screen porch, 4 piece place setting of old silverware to go with my stainless and some silver (do not like plastic when all of family is visiting),
  a wicker tray and basket, some cloth napkins to add to mine (do not like paper napkins), and a few more serving pieces. Some etched juice glasses because somewhere over time I do not have any as they have
been broken. A couple of old brass flower pots for screen porch, some old and nice clippers
for me to use in garden and a old heavy hammer, a  1/2 gallon canning jar they are a rare find
at this time (I have one and like to make a gallon of tea fruit tea at a time).
Also a very small clothes drying rack, a large umbrella (when it rains all the family likes to walk the paths).  Mother's Day there was a parade of umbrella's and my rain jackets walking this rural land.     I noticed an old cane - I like canes :)  and I think that is all....
All of this for not much over $50.     Not bad for the quality and old like me....

As I drove down the highway on the way home, the thought came to mind I want nothing and need nothing and why in the world is this truck filled with these items?

I know why - many of them I had given away during  many times of relocating.  Seems now I have settled into this cottage and all will be useful items.

There were so many mixed emotions as I viewed this home and contents, and as I viewed my past home next door.

But bottom line....it was a good time and whenever I use any of these items, including the walking stick  that
his daughter's gave me as a gift - they will bring back memories of Mr. Leo....

5 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

What sweet memories you have of Mr. Leo and ones will continue to come to you as you see and use the items you got.

Have a lovely weekend ~ FlowerLady

Balisha said...

So glad that you bought some of his "treasures" I did the same when my old neighbor, Ruth, moved to Ga. I look at those precious things today and think of her. She was my loving friend for many years.
I thought that our little town was full of gossip too, but then I changed my mind, when my husband became so ill. Everyone in town knew that he was dying...and they all were so caring to us. I appreciated living in a close community and miss it now.
Balisha

Pienosole said...

A sad, but also beautiful, recounting. I can feel your sense of peace and joy in your home.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

FL, Balasha and Piensole, thanks for visiting me this very hot afternoon. You are each special to me....

Laura said...

I've been thinking of you too, and have not been very good about visiting my neighbors (in blogland)...connecting with our neighbors, our community is so important...although sometimes we just need some solitude and to attend to nurturing our own health, well being and focus on family. I miss you, and you are never far from my thoughts.