Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Weakness

A few days ago I ran across an old acquaintance. So much has happened in her life over the last few years. Her father in his 90,s passed away recently. 3 years ago her husband passed away and a few years before that her sister and brother.

A huge stately home in the nearby little town and she is at the end of distributing contents to family members. She asked me if I would like to come by and look at what was left and see if there was anything I would be interested in. I am not a yard sale person - but - an estate like this made memories of times in the past surface.

I have downscaled a number of times and want nothing else - but could not resist an early morning meeting with my friend. Camera in my hand and yearning so to take a picture of this home. The wonderful old trees were skimming the ground and the shade so dense that I could not take a picture. The wide front porch filled with aging wicker and a large swing.
This home had been in the family over a 100 years and I could almost feel the walls whispering to me as I wandered through the almost empty rooms that were piled with boxes and items from another era.

I chose not to view the 5 rooms upstairs but looked through the kitchen items left. A very old metal knife (I could use), just my size was a very old small platter, several granite bowls and a beautiful glass vinegar cruet ( I like to use them as a small flower holder).

Books are piled everywhere. Old and musty books and I am returning where I can sit for several hours looking through them (do not need these) spotted a 1950 Better Homes and Garden Gardening Book and favorite book from my childhood - a 1933 Nancy Drew mystery.

Going out the door I spotted a gardening pad and a pair of deer skin gardening gloves. She said they were her mother's. The gloves slipped on my hands like they were made for me. As I write this post -the thought comes to mind - do I dare wear them. I almost feel as though the owner who is no longer on this earth - might smile. What do you think?

Now to the cellar - oh my everything through the years must have been saved. Saw nothing and then I spotted the very small drop leaf table with one chair. The paint peeling and its old condition made it very appealing to me. I ask about it and was told this was her mother's kitchen table from many years ago and no one wanted it. "I want it" so next week I will pick it up in my trusty truck and put it on my small front porch. I visualize a plant on it and times I will sit and dream, have a cup of tea, write or even read. Also picked up a very small and old garden basket.

Next week I will also pick up a dozen old flower pots. So One Woman is smiling at her wonderful gifts. They are old and have character. Hope that describes me. But then the number may say old but why is it she feels no different then 25 years ago?

8 comments:

Jessi Cotterill said...

Hi Ern! It's like reading a novel when the main character is walking into an old house. Very interesting and very touched.

Barbara Blundell said...

Hi there,
Have just discovered your Blog and enjoyed reading it . I think that the owner of the gloves would be delighted to think that ( along with other things) they are still serviceable and appreciated in spite of their age !!

Tabor said...

What lucky finds for you. You only took things you would use...an YES she is smiling.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Jessi, so pleased you are once again visiting me. Barbara, thank you for reading about my life. I will reading about yours. Tabor, as always - I welcome your visits.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ernestine, I would have loved to be there with you. I just love going through stuff like that and old treasures. Your table sounds like a great find, too, and am sure you need to use those gloves. Your garden stuff below looks great. I planted tomatoes, cucumbers, and okra in my flower beds and the cucumbers are really producing. I bought jars and stuff to make pickles the other day. I only have one quart now but there will be lots more I think. I told my girls it was a $20 jar of pickles! I just cannot stand to see them go to waste and most of my neighbors have small backyard gardens.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Judy, I use to can a lot. Have some thoughts of making salsa (do not like store bought) and if I can find some pears - I like my old old recipe of pear preserves.
Have put some green beans and squash in the freezer also corn.
I love growing things. Yes, we could not put a price on the worth.
But they sure are good...

Beverly said...

those gloves should be used....she will be smiling. She will help your already gifted garden hands....

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Beverly, thank you - seems all I do is talk about the weather - but it sure is hot and humid.
Hope you are doing well....