Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Friday, October 16, 2009

Invisible Woman

I came across an interesting blog the other day. Angela writes about being an invisible woman.

My first thought when reading this is "Angela you are too young to be invisible".

It brought to mind what I have been thinking about myself a lot over the past few years. Being invisible would seem to fluctuate at times. Might be where I am at that moment, dressed or how I feel that particular day.

But as time goes by - I am truly invisible. For most of my adult years I was not invisible. Young career woman, active social life, busy wife, mother, active role in family business, enjoying all the upscale places and travel. A divorce and starting over at age 42 was a new journey.

Life has been changing for a number of years and in most ways I like it.

Freedom is what I call it!! The peace and simplicity I have been experiencing at Woodhaven over the last months has been a long time coming.

Will add that when I moved to the big city almost 3 years ago - I was truly invisible. I made this comment to my son - he always has a witty reply: "there are people who spend a lot of money to go places where they are invisible." Now back in my old homeplace I do see familiar faces from time to time and may not be 100% invisible.

Wondered as time goes on - when do others begin to feel invisible? Also the thought - is my feeling more invisible because I am One Woman.

Who knows!!!

You might enjoy Angela's - October 14th entry. Love her self-portrait with the misplaced heart.

http://angelarecada.blogspot.com/

If you visit Angela - also check out "A Note From Your Mother" - mother being "Mother Earth"

11 comments:

Janice Lynne Lundy said...

I agree with you that this does spell freedom. Accepting our aging and loving our bodies as they continue to serve us is so impt. "Invisible" does take the pressure off women to be true blue. :-) Blessings to you!

angela recada said...

What a beautiful post! I'm truly touched that my little post spoke to your heart.

Hugs,
Angela

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Jan, thanks for checking in with me. Angela, oh yes, you truly spoke to my heart.

BlondeMomBlog (Jamie) said...

I think at different stages in our lives we can feel this way. I know when the girls were just tiny babies and I was home most of the time and trying to work from home I felt this way. I also went from a very public PR type job for a big company to a very behind the scenes editing job...talk about culture shock!

Now I am not feeling that way any longer but it has taken a few years.

Sometimes being invisible is a blessing, and we just don't know it. :)

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

My Jamie - thank you - yes, mom has many blessings and you are one of them.

Darlene said...

I only feel invisible when I am grocery shopping in an electric cart and people cut in front of me without even realizing it or when I am waiting to be helped and no one seems to notice that I am there.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Darlene, you are not invisible. Those people just cannot see!!!

Tabor said...

I realized I was invisible when I used to go into a store without my young daughter and no one waited on me anymore! Oh well, I, like you, am an independent soul.

Marcie said...

I wonder if I'm odd because I never feel invisible. I feel sometimes like I stick out too much... but maybe time will change this. I hope I have your wisdom and grace if that time comes; to see that state as freedom.

I loved reading your thoughts, as I always do.

hugs,
Aisling

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Tabor, thanks for checking in. I experienced that also. Seems young ladies draw the young and the "old".
Dear Aisling - you are too young to feel invisible. That will come with age and an empty nest. When it arrives - at times it is kind of nice and other times irritating.