Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Beginning

Yesterday was a windy, cool and sunny day.
Could not resist going outside to see what is emerging.
The only rose bush that survived in this damp earth by the woods.  Originally
4 were planted when I relocated 3 years ago.
With the hoe I cleaned about 1/3 of my small garden area.  Spread some
Turnip green seeds and some Egyptian onions have surfaced.
 I have never minded weeding and occasional help does not like to do this.
Preparing pots for herbs.   I would like more this year and this is an experiment.
Cilantro, Thyme, Parsley, Chives, Rosemary, Mint, Lavender and Sage made it through the winter.
I know it is early but could not resist buying a few plants of lettuce and Basil.

A few plants were picked up early this morning from a special friend who has a nursery on her property.  Hopefully in a few days they can be planted.    A lot of plants are surfacing but do not see my Bleeding Heart.   Hope I have not lost it.
Memories of the woods coming to life - soon it will happen.   So much I want to do in the next couple of weeks.   Most of my children and grandchildren  will be visiting the month of April.  I am so excited and just thinking about this makes me smile.....

12 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

How wonderful to spring coming to life in your gardens. It looks like beautiful weather and I'm glad you were able to get outside to play.

Enjoy all the visiting coming up next month.

Happy Spring ~ FlowerLady

Tabor said...

Spring and the visit of loved ones does get the blood flowing again!

Judy said...

I can't wait until spring arrives here. I do not have roses anymore--not enough sunlight on this lot. I am already looking at the spring flowers emerging and putting little wooden "reminder" sticks in the empty spaces for fall planting of tulip and daffodil bulbs.

Sharon said...

Beautiful, perfect for the first day of spring. I just shoveled enough of the 8 inches of snow we got yesterday out of the way so I can get out of my driveway if I have to. Ugh....

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Lorrene, Tabor, Judy and Sharon,
thanks for visiting on this cold and windy day - at least no snow :)

mermaid said...

Happy Spring Ernestine.

May your garden flourish with love.

Hill Top Post said...

I am inspired by your pots of herbs...must add a few to my gardens. Spring is here...

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Kaveri, thank you always for remembering me.
Mary, I am going to try more pots
and just remembered I will have to water more. An experiment - and they may like being in the ground :)
Sandy, thank you for the special card...

the wild magnolia said...

Well it appears you have jumped right in the middle of spring and hit the ground running.

I am excited for all your efforts. I garden via you!

Happy Day.

Pienosole said...

Happy Spring!

Wisewebwoman said...

I so love your garden and would love to help you and LEARN :)

XO
WWW

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Sandy and Pienosole, :)
Wisewebwoman, come on over :)