Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Think On These


Wisdom is the fruit of solitude. Solitude is recharging.

It is better to live in a place where you don't have to resist or react all the time. You might have to live alone....

People are so busy they don't hear the birds singing. They do not know how to appreciate the birds singing.

I see my attachments and I am learning to let go more and more. Attachments are heavy burdens... If you have no strong attachments you can live in a quiet place.

Quotes on solitude by Sayadew U Jotika - Burmese meditation master



Words sent to me this early morning from across the ocean. Words I needed to hear.

I stay so busy and question to much. Yet I have much solitude and meditation time.

A paradox for this One Woman.

It was also shared that the woods surrounding the rural temples have many dirt paths that are continually swept clean by the monks so they will have a bug and leaf free place to practice walking meditation - the real point of this comment was to tell me that they sweep slowly and mindfully as there is no reason to hurry - the past is gone and the future is not here yet. The future is made up of moment by moment - so we try to make each moment mindful or we don't have a present.

So this last paragraph made me smile because One Woman is slowly cleaning some paths in the woods. Instead of a broom -yesterday morning she used her small leaf blower :)

Happiness, Health, Safety and Peace is sent to you this early morning.

13 comments:

Balisha said...

The past is gone and the future is not here yet. The future is made up of moment by moment - so we try to make each moment mindful or we don't have a present.

I'M GOING TO TRY TO REMEMBER THIS AS I FIND MYSELF HURRYING TODAY.THANKS FOR REMINDING ME TO SLOW DOWN.
BALISHA

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Balisha, my son is such a great teacher for his mom. We will both try to slow down.

Tabor said...

That quote really resonated with me today. I was volunteering at the library processing some CD's that had been donated and instead of rushing through the job I decided I would do it carefully and mindfully...I did.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Tabor, thankful this spoke to you.
It surely did me...

Janice Lynne Lundy said...

I am so glad you continue to root yourself in mindfulness, even when it feels challenging to do so. I am too. I think it is safe to say that mindfulness practice saved my life... May you sweep (or blow!) on with ease.

(Yes, your son is such a great blessing!)

mermaid said...

Beautiful quotes and thoughts. I think we all 'stay so busy and question too much'. It's part of our upbringing and programming. Yet, we find ways to slow down and just yield, trust the moment. Blessings to you this day.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Jan - I am right there with you...
Dear Mermaid - I am not where I want to be - but I am not where I was yesterday. That is great!!
Have a good night :) I think it is evening in both of your states.

Beverly said...

made me think of my mama, and her perfect sweeping skills... I got busy as you advised and swept the back steps and porch, felt like my mama was telling me how to do it...

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Beverly - I am proud of you :)

Jessi Cotterill said...

Thanks for sharing the quote. I've found it the real peace of where I live when I don't have to resist or react all the time.

Laura said...

Beautiful quotes and deep wisdom here.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Jessi, I do not have to react or resist - here in my woods. Love it!! Dear Laura, thank you and you from another land - for whatever you are saying - thank you for visiting.

Freda said...

Looks like the kind of photo I like to take, and the same thoughts that I often share. Mindfulness of the moment.... thank you.