Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Monday, August 23, 2010

Little Ones And Lemon Ice Box Pie


A welcome visit over the weekend from my youngest daughter Jamie and two little ones.

The girls always ask for Lemon Ice Box pie and grandma prepared it early that morning.

The next day my middle daughter Beth came and spent the night and is still with me.

Needless to say I enjoytheir visits.

The Lemon Ice Box Pie is so easy and I may have posted the recipe in the past - so before someone emails me or one of my daughter's ask again for it "again" - I will share.

3 egg yolks
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 to 3/4 cup lemon juice - I find that 1/2 cup is fine for me and not so tart

mix (I use my whisk) and pour into a graham cracker crust and bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees

(for a crisper crust, brush with beaten egg white and bake unfilled crust at 375 for 5 minutes)
Over the years I have enjoyed this hint - otherwise I always found the crust might crumble

Cool on wire rack and then refrigerate. After about an hour I cover pie with cool whip. If pie is going to be used immediately with no left overs - you can use whip cream.

Keep any left over in refrigerator, it keeps well for days. Of course it does not last long at my home.

16 comments:

lilalia said...

What happy smiles! Sounds like a lot of fun and the pie looks delicious.

Balisha said...

The sweet pictures of those little ones are as delicious as the dessert. Balisha

pve design said...

You must know about the book "Pie across America!"
I love pie and those little ones look so incredibly anxious for a slice.
Love the recipe.
pve

Anonymous said...

I love lemon pie. This sounds so good an it brings back lots of happy memories.

Jan Lundy said...

Love it and so glad you shared the recipe. My grandchildren would love it too! What sweet souls came for a visit. I hear your happiness. xo

Laura said...

YUM! Thanks for the recipe...my girls will love preparing this. (they have really been into helping in the kitchen this summer!) Your granddaughters are adorable and look so pleased to be there with you...what a blessing to connect in this way with your family.

gentle steps

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

lilalia, Balisha, pve design, Judy, Jan and Laura - thank you for visiting and commenting.
Laura if your girls make the pie.
Do the pie shell first and then mix your other ingredients and pour in shell and bake. It is a little cooler in my area - :)

Amy said...

I am so going to make that pie! It sounds wonderful. My daddy's mother used to make lemon ice box pie when we would visit too!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Amy, you make it for those boys.
If this is my Jamie's Amy. Also, when are you coming to visit me? If not my Amy - other Amy make it anyway :)

Tabor said...

I copied the recipe...now if i can ever get around to making it!

mermaid said...

Grandmother, Mother, Friend your pie and your heart are so beautiful.

Beverly said...

Save me a piece of that pie....it looks yummy!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Mermaid, you make my heart smile.
Beverly, anytime you want to make that 3 hour drive - I will make you a pie :)

Amy said...

It is your Jamie's Amy and yours too! The pie is now cooling in my kitchen! Can't wait until after supper to have it, with cool whip! I need to visit you soon!

Sharon said...

This sounds delicious, as well as the shrimp scampi recipe you shared in an earlier post. It's time for me to branch out and try some new ideas in the kitchen.

Thank you for your heartfelt comments over at my place. They are much appreciated. You have a lovely family. All the work you've done on your property really shows.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Amy, hope the pie is as good as mine turn out. Sharon, thank you for visiting. Both of you have a wonderful day.