Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Saturday, August 14, 2010

My First Granddaughter

I look back at this picture and there I am holding this precious little one. Seems like yesterday.

My daughter, soninlaw and this little one were living in Memphis at that time.

Jess's letter to me after reading what I wrote about her brother "The Winner Is".

Working in the big city of New York after graduating from Vanderbilt last June.

Needless to say her letter pleased grandma.


Aww Gramdma! That was so beautiful :) my mom is a much happier person with her children around and I'm glad the happiness is infectious :) also can't lie, I'm proud of Gav too for his crazy madden skills haha.I'm at the airport waiting to board to go to Boston for the start of a long family reunion slash celebration. But yesterday, I tried acupuncture for the first time - after my mom spoke highly of it and my best friend's sister (whose 38) recommended a doctor to see since my back , hip, and shoulders are so tight. It was definitely an experience - the needles that hit my pressure locked up points really got to me - it was very intense. I was told to relax and just let them "heat up" - so I got lost in a peaceful place, your farm. I have the most peaceful, serene memories of sitting out on your screened in porch at dusk, listening to the symphony of animal noises descend upon the night sky and the creaking swing of your porch swing as we sipped icy lemondae or tea and rocked.....I find myself there a lot during meditation time during my yoga class. They tell you to close your mind to the stress and chaos of the present and take yourself somewhere without worries. As a little girl, frolicking around that old barn house among the orchards, down by the lake, climbing on the tractor, swinging on that old wooden swing from the massive tree branch. Sigh. What a beautiful memory. I wanted to share it with you because it was the home you created and as a little girl, it was a haven of peace and nature. And I know you're lucky to be back in your wood haven. At peace. Anyways, not sure I will try it again - may stick to massages - because the pain and the junping muscles just freaked me out. They also released all the emotions jammed inside, through years of stress, so I couldn't help but just crying as I finally was released. It was an interesting experience - the doctor said it was normal because your body and mind are so connected and the muscles carry the memories of stress, pain, and emotional drain. I guess it was a little bit of a therapy session in a way. Just wanted to share with you :) Love and miss you,Jessica

6 comments:

Jessi Cotterill said...

What a sweet letter! I like it when Jessica mentioned the words of the doctor, "the muscles carry the memories of stress, pain, and emotional drain." It'd be nice if we can teach our muscles to remember only relaxation. It's like Buddhist word that says "Mind is a master, body is a servant" (Your mind is a master of your body).

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Jess, you are so wise. Yes, I must remember "mind is a master, body is a servant".
This letter brought me much pleasure and I wanted to document.
Have a good weekend filled with Happiness, Health, Safety and Peace.

Beverly said...

That letter would have brought me smiles, as I know it did you....

Deborah Carr said...

This is so touching. How it must have warmed your heart to know you've created this place of peace within your grandchild...one that she carries everywhere. What a lucky girl she is, to have a grandma such as you.

"I got lost in a peaceful place, your farm. I have the most peaceful, serene memories of sitting out on your screened in porch at dusk, listening to the symphony of animal noises descend upon the night sky and the creaking swing of your porch swing as we sipped icy lemondae or tea and rocked"

PS: She took me there as well!

Sky said...

you might want to share with her that i have found great relief via ultrasound treatment of very tight muscles. I get the ultrasound treatment via Physical Therapy and it always works. it is a benign treatment where a gel is applied and a wand is lightly moved across the muscles involved. I have to do this often due to a medical issue I have which causes muscle tightness, pain, and spasms. when muscles tighten up and remain that way they can eventually cause joints to misalign and all the related pain. perhaps this would help her. if my body is really in pain i usually see remarkable results after only 2 treatments.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Beverly, you are so right.
Deborah, this letter went straight to the heart. We never know what memories we are creating and how they will be remembered. Thank you for your kind comments.
Sky, I will direct Jess to your information. Thank you.
Each of you have a good day :)