Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Friday, January 25, 2013

Stuff And ice On The Trees

Weather has One Woman inside-----

Have just finished cleaning my bathroom with Lysol
and almost everything in my bedroom with Murphy's Oil Soap.
Still big armoire and my bookcase to do.

A bookcase filled with books that spoke to me over the years, books from children, 4 bibles
that are underlined and tear stained passages that helped me 35 years ago.  My first bible that was given to me at 6 years of age and pictures.

I have downscaled 5 times since taking off on my own 35 years ago.
Sales, given to children, friends, library and thrown away.

Still too much stuff in this cottage.
My son a constant reminder that I have done well.
Beginning in the 800 sf home and a steady increase
to the really big one of over 5000 sf and now 1200 sf
with a loft area.

Every letter from my son saved - why - because they are from across the ocean and special.
Boxes of cards, letters, scrapbooks - why - because they make me feel loved.
Cards from growing up years of my children, paper work from when they
were born and released from hospital, special notes to me when they were
growing up.
Boxes of pictures of when they were taken had to be developed, for years I kept baskets
everywhere with these pictures and in recent years new pictures are on my computer.
Boxes of pictures my mother gave me of grandmother's, great grandmother's and
on and on.  My children's baby pictures, high school pictures. wedding pictures.
Seems no one wants to take them at this time and I am tired of cleaning around them
but will continue.

Every child has big items in their home from mom and now down to the small stuff.
So guess that is a blessing

Old leather chair is surrounded by stacks of books and many waiting to be read.

New interests in recent years added more stuff.
The computer, printer, baskets of clippings and notebooks filled with various information.
Yoga interest and now stacks of  books about this practice, mat, special props.

Small utility room filled with plants, extra cooking supplies, containers of recipes, cook books,
outdoor jackets, gloves, hats, boots, washer, dryer and on and on.

Garage is filled with gardening items, mower, freezer, cleaning supplies, Christmas items,
vehicle and on and on.

A smile on my face as I sit at computer and type away,
because items in this cottage are a constant reminder
of a number of lifestyles that were lived
 it is evident that I have lived a full life, am well organized
and everything can be located quickly.
Yet this is way too much stuff for one whose
main interest at this time of her life
is to be healthy, meditate, simplify, sit more
 and take time to breathe...

I also realize
that when I feel good,
a lot of thoughts still surface
of another lifestyle, writing a book,
and with all the ups and downs
of life
it has been good....



16 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Your post makes me feel encouraged, blessed and inspired.

I'm glad you've had a good life.

FlowerLady Lorraine

lil red hen said...

This was inspiring! And I realize that a lot of the things I have kept for my girls will never be wanted by them, but they hold memories for me. I like this Bible verse: Ecclesiastes 2:18,19, "Yea, I hated all my labour which I had taken under the sun: because I should leave it unto the man that shall be after me. And who knoweth whether he shall be a wise man or a fool? yet shall he have rule over all my labour wherein I have laboured..." Hugs

the wild magnolia said...

memories and encouraging words.....always a fine thing.

((hugs))

Balisha said...

"Clutter is the poetry of our homes. It is an intimate view that is not always perfect - a few dishes in the sink, books piled next to the bed. Everything in its place may give a certain satisfaction, but a lived-in room exudes comfort and warmth."
Mary Randolph Carter

Thought I would put this quote here for you to read.
we all have those boxes of "paper stuff" that bring back memories of our children growing up.I couldn't live a minimalist lifestyle.I have to have my things around me.
Balisha

Tabor said...

Since you are no longer a shopper or accumulater, I would not worry. If you have space to move about and do not feel the stuff is closing in on you, I would just leave it. Enjoy it when you want.

Wisewebwoman said...

Yes, I hear you. Downsize, downsize. It is difficult though not impossible in the digital age when you can capture all of this and put it on the head of a pin.

If you wish, that is :)

XO
WWW

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Lorraine, Charlotte, Sandy, Balisha, Tabor and WWW - thank you for visiting. Still too much here
and WWW - you are so right...

Lynn said...

You have organized everything beautifully. It was a virtual tour through every space. Hope your weekend is luxuriously well spent.

So nice to read the quote of Mary Rabdolf Carter.

Sallysmom said...

People don't realize how important those photos that were developed or printed can come to be. I am so thankful I have pics of my growing up years and my children's growing up. These pics on cameras and on computers can be lost so easily but those printed will be there until they crumble.

Balisha said...

i came back this morning to read your comments. WWW is right...we do have the technology, but do we want to use it for precious things like a first grader's picture of the sunshine? Or a poem written on a scrap of paper... tucked in a favorite book?
Just wondering...
Balisha

Judy said...

I sit here and look over at my bookcase--I have 3-ring scrapbooks dating back to 1983--when I began my new venture. Pictures, drawings from grandchildren, programs from their concerts and plays, clippings. I wonder what my girls will do with them. They probably will not think they are treasures--like I did when I received pictures and scrapbooks when my Mother died. Oh well, I keep them because I like to look back through them.

Freda said...

You've set me off looking around carefully, being reminded of lifestyles and blessings of long ago. Every Blessing. Freda from Dalamory. (www.freda.org.uk)

Kat said...

I am constantly trying to downsize but find myself holding on to so many things that have lovely memories attached.
Wonderful post! And thank you for visiting my blog. :)

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Sallysmom, Balisha, Judy - oh yes we are very similar and thanks for visiting.
Freda, thank you for sending you website where I can visit you.
Kat, thank you for visiting and you surely have your hands full.
I had 5 at home years ago, but not homeschooling. I like what you write :)

Sharon said...

Ernestine, you have done very well at living a life balanced with what you need and what feeds your spirit. I have scrapbooks and photo albums that are enjoyed over and over again, priceless to me. What happens when I no longer need them will be up to those left to decide. I like your philosophy about what matters:)

Anonymous said...

Oh, again, how I do relate. There is so much stuff in my life (for one: pictures and albums in boxes--so much to go through at some point) and, as you say, all that stuff is a reflection of many lives lived. And, for an active mind and person--as you, obviously are--new interests continue to accumulate! So rich, so rich life is when one has curiosity!