Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Just Checking In

A cold day here in the country
but no snow.
A quick trip to town for much needed hair trim.
I cut my hair most of the time and it was looking like it.

New magazine arrived
a gift subscription from one daughter.
 An article on Southern cooking
reminded me of when my children were growing up.
Fried chicken, potato salad, deviled eggs, cornbread and always on the weekend
the big breakfast of eggs, bacon, ham or sausage, biscuits and gravy and always
homemade preserves.

Made a banana pudding yesterday and already half has been consumed
It is so easy to make
and guess it is comfort food on these cold days.
This easy recipe was posted sometime last year.

Some thoughts keep surfacing after reading a favorite new blog "The Other Side of Sixty" from Wise Web Woman
several of the comments on this entry about each of us seeing life differently.  Made me think of acquaintances over the years.  I would think of them in a certain way and a comment about them would be made and I would think "that is not the person I know."  So much contributes to our thoughts of someone and some accurate and some not.

When we think of our families, children and much experienced over the years, some thoughts  would be accurate, some not and would be the result of where we were emotionally, age and guess just an understanding of life at that particular time.  Having difficulty finding the right words and hope I am making sense with what I have shared ?

I have a small horn I blow if something is spotted I want to frighten and make go away ( used on boats and sound goes a long distance)   when I blow this and Callie is outside she comes running to me.  This is great on this cold afternoon when I want her to come inside.  She is afraid of gun shots and maybe she thinks someone is in the woods hunting.  Also when I have been on an errand and return home I honk my horn as I drive down the long gravel drive and she comes running to greet me.

Has been very difficult for me lowering dose of prednisone which I have been on over 6 weeks.  Beginning with 40 mg,  now down to 5mg and hopefully off in a week.
In the beginning  such an elevated feeling, high energy and now for several days it is almost like
I am suffering from jet lag.   Difficulty sleeping, low energy, difficulty concentrating  and just a general feeling of
something not being like it should be.   But today a good day and feeling more like myself.
Surely hope the help this medication has given me - continues.

17 comments:

Lynn said...

Wishing you more good days as the season progresses.

lil red hen said...

Glad to come to your blog tonight and find your new words. I was afraid you might be sick.

I keep a whistle by my bedside in case I get sick or something and need the farmer. But -- he can't hear it thunder without his hearing aids, so I feel like I'm on my own.

Sky said...

hope so, too. have a friend who started off with 40 mg preds for a week,then down to 20 mg, next to 10, and finally to 5. she's decided to cut a couple of her 5 mg pills in half and take 2.5 mg a day for a couple of days, and then every other day, hoping to make the journey easier. inflammation is such a difficult companion.

i have a whistle that i use.

Tabor said...

Your dog is very well trained and I imagine you and she are two peas in a pod most days. I am glad that you are able to wean yourself away. I think illness and pain permeate our minds more when we do not have to go off to work somewhere.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Lynn, Charlotte, Sky and Tabor,
thank you for early morning comments I found.
I am discouraged this morning
now coming down with a cold.
Of everyone I know I am more careful. Try so hard to do all I should and it is very difficult for me at the place I find myself.
So very thankful and know there is much that I do not have. Just wanted so my last years to be quality. A lot goes through my mind and each of you remember I am years older then each of you.
So I will continue
one day at a time...

MsGraysea said...

Your approach to life is so sensible, Ernestine, and your words are always inspiring and thoughtful. I am sorry to hear you are coming down with a cold. Time for your immune system to kick in and help you get through it.
Callie is such a sweet companion for you. She's gentle, as you are, and gives you so much love. Nice!
That banana pudding sure does look like comfort food. YUM....
May your cold be minor and short-lived.

Judy said...

That is the feeling I get when coming off certain meds--kind of foggy. Take it slow--down and then a small amount every other day and then done!

Very cold here too.

Freda said...

Blessings...... every day, From Freda at Dalamory

Sky said...

consider picking up some "airborne" - i like the citrus flavor, but there are others. chew 4 tablets 3 times a day for a week or so to boost yourself with vitamin C and zinc. may help minimize the severity of the cold virus (or flu) and help you move past it quickly if you are already sympotmatic. others say it helps them avoid infection altogether. my doc's nurse suggested i do this when i have to fly in flu season and to do it the entire i am traveling.

feel better soon. sending love.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Marcia, Judy, Freda and Sky
thanks so much for visiting.
turning this off for evening

the wild magnolia said...

just a few minutes ago i wondered where you were. so happy you come for a visit.

there are many thoughts in our older years. where i am there is very little silence.

I think silence can be healing....

prayers for you, continued progress, in all things good.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Sandy, thank you so much for your kind words - yes I need silence and it is a gift to me at this time of life in this cottage...

Friko said...

Be very careful with steroids, you can do a lot of damage if you wean yourself off without doctor’s advice.

You seem to have life and your dog reasonably under control; I hope the days continue to get easier and that life will treat you kindly.

Hill Top Post said...

Always enjoy reading about your and Callie's life at Woodhaven. Your banana pudding looks oh, so delicious. I copied your recipe, along with several others, when I was reading your journal. I entitled them all ...from Woodhaven. Warmer days are right around the corner!

Anonymous said...

How difficult it is, at times, maintaining balance. I don't know, for me, if it's age or stage or more consciousness about my body's limits. I can be up one minute and down the next. There's just no telling. I do so hope your adjustment to the lower dose of medication goes as quickly and easily as possible.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Friko, Mary and Ellen, thanks for visiting...

Letter Robinson said...

my wife was diagnosed with Sjogren syndrome last year. of all the horrible symptoms Joint pain, swelling and stiffness, Swollen salivary glands, Skin rashes or dry skin i was given Hydroxychloroquine but wasn't helping my situation. it becomes worst each day. while surfing the internet, i saw people testifying about Dr Jude Herbal formula on how it help them to cure their sjogren disease. i quickly copied his email and whatsApp number. i contacted him and made my orders. she was on his Herbal medication for three weeks after which she went for test to our greatest surprised it came out negative. it been 9 months now, up till now she haven't gotten any symptoms. she went for another test last three months and the result came out to be negative again. all thanks to Dr JUDE HERBAL FORMULA. you can reach him via email [ drjuderobert@gmail.com] or reach him via whatsApp on 1860-532-0721.