Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Friday, January 11, 2013

Deer and Fox Tail Squirrels

Early morning a dozen deer
near my garden.  When I quietly
opened the door
they all scattered
except this one
looking at me....

Fox Tail Squirrels visit my garden daily.
My woods have an abundance of these creatures.
They are huge and sometimes I do believe
they are as big as Miss Callie.
Tails so big and bushy and remind me of Fox furs
that ladies wore in the past.

There must be plenty for
them to eat in the woods
this year as they look so healthy.
Seems like winters in the past
the squirrels looked very thin
but not this year....

This is an image I found on Google.
My squirrels are much larger then this.

As a child
I can remember
some would squirrel hunt
and would bring them to my
grandmother
and she would fry them
like you do a chicken.
The same with a rabbit.

This thought that just
surfaced
I do not find too appealing.

I eat very little meat at this time of life
and not squirrel or rabbit.

10 comments:

Tabor said...

This winter has been so mild that I am not surprised the squirrels have not had to put out their own heat and get thinner.

Sharon said...

Deer are plentiful in our woods this year, too. We have seen a few. The larger evidence is seen in the trails they leave in the snow, like toddlers have been out to run and play.

Sharon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Judy said...

I have fried up many a rabbit, squirrel and venison--none since I've been divorced though, LOL.

MsGraysea said...

I really do love watching the squirrels. That one in the photo os quite pretty. Ms G likes to watch them, too! Does Callie chase them?

So nice you have the wildlife around.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Tabor, Sharon and Judy, :)
Marcia, squirrels do not come close when Callie is outside - she
chases them away :)

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Friko said...

I’d eat deer (venison) but not squirrel. I believe squirrel is considered very tasty by some.

I like your peaceful life close to the woods.

Wisewebwoman said...

Naaah, never squirrel, squirrels are rodents. I'm adverse to eating rodents.

Our NL squirrels are tiny grey things with sad arse tails.

And this is powerful huntin' country ma'am and no one hunts them.

XO
WWW

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Friko, I agree
WWW, yes, I have always considered a squirrel a rat with a tail - ugh.
My squirrels are so fat and really quite pretty but do not like their constant digging close to my cottage.