Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Friday, November 19, 2010

Winter Wheat


Long ago when creating another home on this property, I remember the comment from a carpenter "your lawn is going to be beautiful" - my comment "that is not lawn - that is winter wheat.

I love the color of the new wheat - a beautiful shade of green. Here we are headed into winter, and I will have a beautiful green field in front of my home.

A neighboring farmer plants my front field. The field was planted only a few weeks ago and I kept having thoughts - he is going to leave it bare and plant early soybeans in the Spring. Thoughts of a muddy field for Miss Callie to enjoy !

I was wrong and I will enjoy looking out my window at this green field. Even when it snows you can see the green emerging out of the snow. When the March winds blow it will have another beauty!


Instructions for living a life:

Pay attention
Be astonished
Tell about it

~Mary Oliver~

7 comments:

Tabor said...

HOw perfect the poem and your comments! they go together so well.

Beverly said...

I wish I had your gift of posting...I try, but, I have to keep working at it....

the wild magnolia said...

Splendid picture, poem, and post.

The green wheat is meaningful beauty in your life. The wheat peeps through the snow and brings joy!

We learn of you through your writing, we learn of you through your photographs!

Thank you for sharing.

Blessings!

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

what a beautiful photograph....

happy to see you at Farmhouse today, my friend

kary

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Tabor, Wild Magnolia, Beverly and Kary at My Farmhouse Kitchen - thank you for visiting and commenting.

Judy said...

Winter wheat does make a beautiful winter gift.

MsGraysea said...

Mary Oliver is so wonderful and to think she lives a few miles from me. I feel so close to my "place" and her when I read her work.
Love the bonus you have of that lovely green field in winter.
Beautiful!