Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

The Old Rocking Chair


I just brought this rocking chair out of my storage area. It was also in a storage room in the city home.

So much has been given away but I just could never part with this rocking chair.

It was purchased at a time our family lived on a farm, I named it Maplebrook. This is the home where my older children were raised. It seemed this young couple over night went from rags to riches. The economy was booming. A large rambling ranch type home was built and swimming pool put in when my youngest was born.
Horses and cattle roamed the fields. There was an article in the Tennessean about this home. It originally was part of a land grant. A very old home was torn down so this home could go in its place.

My son was about 3 years old when this rocking chair was purchased. In a few years my youngest a baby - they were both rocked continually in this chair.
The varnish on the arms of the rocking chair has been worn from its continual use.

I loved a rocking chair and it was the first thing I requested when at the age of 21 years old I knew a baby was on the way. At that time we lived in a 700 sf home in Detroit, Michigan.

So the rocking chair went from this farm home to the really big city house. Then a part of our world came to an end. A recession, most (I now view as unimportant) lost, divorce, and when I started out on my own it went with me to the old farm house I remodeled.
It had several other homes and then in my last city home there seemed to be no place where it fit, my heart would not let it go. It sat in that storage room and the one in this home until this afternoon.

At the moment the small loft area is filled with sun. I love standing and looking out this window. The thought came to mind "what a wonderful place to sit, read and maybe just look out into the woods and "just be"

So ...... I will get someone to help me move the chair into this area - no I will do it myself. It is now sitting in front of the big window.

More memories from One Woman

17 comments:

the wild magnolia said...

The Old Rocking Chair touches a chord in this old heart! Protected and moved about to surface in your life now. Worn and welcome and full of stories. How wonderful!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

WM - thank you. I love this chair.
So many memories and lifestyles.
But this One Woman - this time is the best. Thinking of you..

Balisha said...

Ernestine...It seems we both have the same love for simple rocking chairs. Mine sits in our breakfast nook, by the glass patio doors. I can read there and look out to see the birds feeding and the woods beyond. Enjoy your little spot in the loft and rock away.Rocking is so relaxing. Balisha

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Balisha, thank you. Yes, there is something comforting about a rocking chair. Now that is for our generation - do not know if my girls feel that way :)

Lonely Rivers said...

Oh it looks so special. I have had my grandmother's rocker for over forty years...and sadly it has only "worked" in one of my homes. Yet I move it with me where ever I go..and try it out and then spend time figuring out how to store it. I love it and wish so much that it wasn't so challenging to find the perfect place for it.

Judy said...

I also had to have a rocking chair when I knew a baby was on the way. I rocked all 4 of mine in it and then passed it on to my daughter when she was expecting. I was at her home for Thanksgiving and saw it downstairs in her finished basement. Still being used I guess.

What a glorious place for your old rocker to go--it will bring peace and memories whenever you sit in it.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

LR - I understand your sharing. This chair from home to home - I could not let it go. It seems at home in front of this window.
Judy, I bought my youngest daughter a rocker when the two little girls were born. But do not know if the younger generation like to rock - lock we did and I still do. I find it comforting.
Both of you have a special day.

MsGraysea said...

Such a meaningful story and journey for your dear rocking chair. I think you new was was meant to house this beautiful piece of your life and to give you a place to contemplate and absorb all the healing there is in nature.
Your photo says so much. Bravo to you for moving it to just the perfect spot.

Laura said...

What a beautiful story this chair holds for you my friend! And how marvelous to be able to sit in it and remember the past and look out your window into the present moment, breathe and appreciate all the many blessings that you welcome daily.

Nan said...

I am so happy your chair and you are reunited. It is now in its perfect home. I so love the picture. I fear I'd do more dreaming than reading if that were my view. :<)

Freda said...

What a wonderful rocking chair. Sadly, mine was a self-build and eventually fell to pieces. Yours looks evocative of peace sitting waiting for its occupant.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Marcia, Laurah, Nan and Freda - thank you so much for visiting and your comments are meaningful on this cold day in the woods.

Sharon said...

Yes, that chair needs a window nearby. It's wonderful that you've been able to bring it out of storage and can enjoy it this winter, while you are inside warm and rocking. My daughter loves rocking chairs and has found a space in her small den for one where she can rock and read.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Sharon, thank you for commenting. I love this chair. Wonder when I will find time to go upstairs and just sit :)

millie garfield said...

The photo of the rocking chair by the window says it all!

Even though I just said that - your words were very WARM and you told the story of the chair so beautifully!!

Looks like the perfect place to relax and be at peace.

Sky said...

perfect place to gaze and read and be at peace - the same sort of peace you brought your babies when you rocked them! so glad you will be using this chair.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Millie and Sky, thank you for visiting me.