Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Busy Saturday




A neighbor arrived early this morning with his bush hog. A little over 2 hours work sure did accomplish a lot.

My thoughts have been to wait until Spring and cut around the perimeter of this property. My thoughts began to change with the prediction of rain in the next few hours. Once this land is wet with rain and future snow, this chore would have to wait until next summer.

A lot can be done with this type of machine in a few hours. So I led, followed and pointed out what I wanted done. A loader on the front of this machine and I discovered some wonderful dirt! Some was brought to my garden area and two low spots in the yard (I spread and should not have - I will ache all night).

Took some pictures of some unusual tree trunks. One if it were closer to cottage I would place a flower in the opening. I viewed my wonderful pond. The one I had enlarged and wanted to keep with my property. But .. the buyer of land adjoining me wanted it. But, Callie and I can still walk to it, sit by it and "just be".

This is the only time of the year I will go close to the pond. In years past I always was fearful of coming upon one of the dangerous snakes - a helper years ago told me he always saw Copperhead's in that area. I really doubt it - or at least in 35 years I have never seen one.

At dawn I filled my crock pot with a mixture of beans, handful of chopped onion, carrots, celery and ham. At the moment the scent reminds me of how tasty they will be this evening with some cornbread. Also still have over half of the pumpkin sheet cake with cream cheese icing that was made yesterday.

Plan on sharing with my city friend - if I am not to weary to drive in to town and if I do not eat it all!!

8 comments:

the wild magnolia said...

Oh how the woodland trees stir my spirit. Fresh cleared land is good for the soul. A reorganizing toward a safe and more open space is pleasing!

It is good you may still visit the pond. A pond would be hard for me to give up. Although, I feel you made a good decision.

I adore visitors, especially those who say a few words. Thank you for the kind words. It is meaningful to me that any part of goodness is shared and may help someone else.

Your blog is a delight and free flowing. I love the pictures. Soon, I hope to be able to take and download my own pictures.

Enjoy the beans and cornbread! Be sure to save some cornbread for a snack. This southern gal crumbles cornbread in a cup and pours sweet milk over it. Yummers!

Blessings.

the wild magnolia said...

Post Script:

I'd love you to visit my new blog, Chaos and Old Night, when you have time.

Click on the button at the top of my sidebar of The Wild Magnolia.

Thanks. :)

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

WM - Your words speak directly to my heart and spirit. On the pond - maybe I could have challenged them - but at that time I was leaving this area and said I would never return. I have learned not to say "never"

Ugich Konitari said...

The last picture made me think of Someone , really Big, standing on the Toes, trying to look for something...


Quiet amidst
the autumn
trees
skirting the pond,
He stands,
a foot
balanced on the toes,
resting
close to the other.....

Although bereft
of the
green and the yellow,
and preparing
to brave
the rains
and winter cold,
He raises Himself
on his toes
to keep an eye,
on
The house in the woods,
and
The Lady of Woodhaven.....

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Ugich - you honor and bless me with your poems.
You are so very talented and wish I had your talent for words.
Thank you from the "weary" lady who lives at the edge of the woods

Darlene said...

I'm glad that someone helped you resize your wreath picture so we could all enjoy it. It's beautiful.

You made me hungry with your description of your meal. Yummy.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Darlene, thank you --- It pleases me when you visit and comment. If I lived near you would have some of the soup :)

Judy said...

I DID have a tree like that, with the opening, by my front porch. Every year, I planted a trailing petunia in it. It looked cute. Apparently it liked the soil I used as after 5 years, the opening has closed! No place to plant my flower. I would still do it, if I were you--if you can see that opening from your trail out in the woods.